Rear Bumper Carrier

buck savage

Greetings. I'm looking for a way to mount my Honda 3000 (approx. 100 lbs) onto the rear bumper of my 1993 Winnebago Toyota motor home. Mine has the square (4') rear bumper. I removed the original Generac generator but the space is just to small to use to carry my Honda in. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated! Mark

I want to do the exact same thing with a 3000. My thoughts were to custom weld brackets out from the frame members that would stick out the back then up above the bumper and create a shelf just a bit higher than the bumper. That way the gen would be supported by the frame and not the bumper. If there is enough room between the bumper and the coach wall you could also put in some extra bracing to tie that edge to the frame. The square bumpers are not strong enough to support that gen. A few hard hit bumps would probably twist the bumper. Which 3000 are you going to use, any thoughts about a custom inside starting panel with auto transfer switch? Only problem I see with inside start is the choke.

The Honda I have is the 300 Handi. It is about 1/2 the weight of the standard 3000 which has the electric start. Mine only has the pull start and I'd have to manually start it either in the rear bumper mount or remove it from the bumper and run it cabled to the vehicle, which might have less noise / vibration. I have seen a rear bumper rack on a local Toyota motor home, but haven't had a chance to look at it up close. I wish someone made one that I could get a hold of? Plan B would be to try and make the former generator compartment behind the driver's door larger to carry the Honda there. I'm open to anyone's ideas! Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Our local RV store sells a bolt on receiver for 4" bumpers. 4 bolts 2 on each side compress two sandwich plates and allow the welded receiver to be either mounted on top or on bottom (they've welded the receiver on one of the plates already for you.) from there you just plug in your favorite cargo carrier. I bought a steel one initially but now I am seeing that harbor freight has an all aluminum one for 1/3 the weight of the steel so I am waiting on the NRA HF 20% discount coupon sent in american rifleman.

I don't have the nicest generator; i just ended up going with an $89 harbor freight 2 stroke lunchbox gen that rates 800w continues 900w max. Added 30 AMP to 110 pigtail to the equation and it runs the Dometic fridge and most stuff with no complaints. It will NOT run the AC, but that's what camp sites are for. It will most certainly annoy a neighbor not from the noise; its quiet but rather from the chainsaw-esque smell the two stroke puts out. I don't care because the folks in a wall mart parking lot definitely arent the type to complain which is the only type of place I would use it.

I added a universal receiver hitch to my Warrior. and use one of the Harbor Freight aluminum cargo racks that I modified to make taller and made a canvas cover to keep the contents out of site. I fit a Honda 2000i in the carrier with plenty of room left over for other stuff and gass cans. The 2000i powers the AC just fine and you can barely hear it when the AC is operating.