I am new to this forum, new to Toyota products but not new to RVing. I have acquired a 1984 Dolphin with the 1ZZ-FE engine. I've checked the oil and there is water in it. I am able to start it and it runs smooth, drove it about a mile and it didn't overheat. It's parked now and I'm confident there is a blown head gasket. I'm not afraid to tackle this project as I've replaced head gaskets it 2 Ford pick ups and have the tools and knowledge to do it. Has anyone done this on their vehicle and are there any tricks or things I should look out for when I start? I'm also looking for a Chiltons manual for this engine. I'll be tagging every wire, hose and cable I remove and taking a lot of pictures as well.

I know I'll run into a few of what I call "might as well" jobs like having the head magged, shaving if needed, replacing valves, timing chains etc.

So, anybody done this? What am I up against?

Thanks for your time.

Paul

Edited by Tincup

You sure it's a 1ZZ-FE engine? That's a Corolla 1.8 L VVTi engine. It would be a neat trick if that's what it is it's computer controlled variable valve timed engine not sure how it's matted to the trans they were transverse. As far as a head gasket got me never done one the book would be a good thing the chain would be the most interesting part of the job the rest is nuts and bolts.

Ihave done a head gasket on the older 20 r i would drain the oil asap bad oil ie antifreze will destroy the rod and main berings i have seen the damage on another eng sorry i dont know that moter i know the 22r or 22re and the 20 r on those start dist no 1 top dead center watch for corosion around water holes on aluminom head people dont change colent head can be all ate up and gascket ok guy gave me a 20r all collent gone in pan head all ate up water holes look like mushrooms no seal on cyl sethers the older moters do not have cam berings run right on the head i dont about that one make sure use toyota head gasket on the 20r felpro brand always blow 2 years! toyota mec told that what my problem was i tore of shure was a felpro not made the same

Maineah,

Well according to the VIN number it is a 1ZZ. However, after I posted I took another look at the engine and there is a BIG 22R on the valve cover. I don't know why the VIN would indicate a 1ZZ and I know the engine wasn't replaced. The 4th digit in the VIN is "R". Here's the site I went to to check the VIN

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Numbers_(VIN_codes)/Toyota/VIN_Codes

Thanks for your input.

OK that is more like it it's a 2.4 carb engine that's an easy one there is a hidden bolt under the distributor, it has to come out to get to it. It will be covered with oil but it's down there look at your new head gasket and you'll see where it is up front other then that follow the book for the timing and valve adjustment stuff and go for it. I would suggest a chain and chain guides if it has 100K or more on it now would be the time to do it. If it's a double row chain you can leave it alone they will out last the engine but a single row chain is good for around 150K.

Stock that is asingle roller chain the 20 r is a double roller like he said a good strait foward eng check that head for corrsion problems take the valve cover off you can see the chain right there

You can find PDF versions of the Toyota work manual, with a little searching.

The gasket is not that hard of a job if you follow the book.

For minimal additional cost over the "head gasket kit", the "engine gasket kit" will include the front cover gaskets, water pump gaskets, front and rear seals, etc.

And will be cheaper than going back to get any of the other additional gasket kits.

Do NOT get your gaskets from Toyota. They charge Seriously for Each Gasket.

T HE OTHER GASKETS are ok but i personly would not use a FelPRO head Gasket unless they fixed there head gasket problem of a few years back with There permer tork so called never needs retorkeing they would last 2 years or so i am not making this up atoyota mec friend worked in an independt shoup Before he worked at the toyota dealer the head blue on my toyota wagen for no reason he said when you get the head off i bet it is a felpro it was side by side the head gaskets where not the same quality and the factory gasket required retorqing at 1ooo miles i oned it 15 years never had another problem i have owned six toyotas no1 and no 4 were filled with antifreze i had a shop check the head perfect cond