Dometic fridge question

Oldiesel

We have in our 86 MiniCruiser a Dometic 2400 fridge that only operates on propane,neither the 12v or 110 systems will cool.I have tested the heating elements and neither are open,both have some resistance although i do not have the correct values the fact that they do have some resistance and no voltage is getting to them leads me to suspect the switch that switches the electric power to the thermostat , i would like to check the switch.My question is can the switch be accessed without removing the fridge and if so do i start from the front or the back.I do have the booklet that came with it and it has wiring schematics and a parts breakdown drawing but of course no dissasembly instructions. TIA Don

The elements should have resistance in the few ohms range like 15 down to point some thing any thing much higher or in the K ohms range is too much. Seems unlikely that both sides would be out as they are different switches (never the two should meet) The 12 volt side is fused and the 120 plugs in next to the fridge I would check the feed side before jumping into the switch. Usually the outlets are are down stream of a GFI that maybe some thing to check as far as the 120 volt side. The terminals for the 12 volt stuff are on a barrier strip right behind the fridge along with the 120 volt wiring.

• 6 months later...

My fridge was plugged in overnight to get cold prior to first use, and it did not cool. Put hings in, turned on gas, and it cooled fine. I checked the electrical outlet for 110 and it was good. i assume the next thing to do is take it apart outside to where the electric heating element is and see if its getting hot?

By the way, the switch that rotates from gas to electric turns stiffly, but there is no click or anything besides the elec showing in the cut out to let me know its in the right position, is the switch ever the problem?

I should have known better, when on the road it cooled fine on propane. Plugged it in when we got home and checked the heat "tower" later and it was warm to the touch so electric heating element is working. I recall that fridges do not work well when not level, and driveway has slant, it does NOT work on this much slant but when i jacked up the front to level it the electric worked well after all. DUH!

• 3 weeks later...

I should have known better, when on the road it cooled fine on propane. Plugged it in when we got home and checked the heat "tower" later and it was warm to the touch so electric heating element is working. I recall that fridges do not work well when not level, and driveway has slant, it does NOT work on this much slant but when i jacked up the front to level it the electric worked well after all. DUH!

lucky you did not blow your cooling unit. These refrig's really need to be level - out of level will shorten their life & sometimes terminate their life!