I bought a 1984 Huntsman without a spare tire.

First, where can I get one (Illinois).? I was told that I should get a wheel like the front ones and that will do..What if a tire in the rear went flat?

The reason someone told you to get a spare tire like the rim of the front ones is that

you cannot drive with a flat front tire, but you can drive (really slowly and a limited

distance) with one of the rear tires flat. Also, I am guessing here, that the odds are

one will get more front flat tires than rear flat tires since the front tire will in

most case run over the object in the road first. It is best to have two spare tires,

but if you can only have one, I would guess a front spare tire would give you the better

odds.

Dennis B.

First, where can I get one (Illinois).? I was told that I should get a wheel like the front ones and that will do..What if a tire in the rear went flat?

Have a read of this thread to find a tire (or 7).

From what I have read, most people carry one front spare, mounted and balanced. If you lose a front, you can change it yourself and drive to get it repaired.

If you lose a rear tire, you can take the wheel off, and limp to a service center on 5 tires. If you lose another rear, remove it, balance out the rear with one tire on each side and crawl to the service center.

I have considered keeping a new unmounted spare rear tire on board in the event that a local service center cannot find a replacement, or it takes them days to get one, and the cost! This way, you can be in and out, but is it worth the weight? Maybe.

At least if you had to order a tire and wait, you wouldn't be left without a place to sleep...

An expensive alternative is to get the C&C 6 bolt wheel adapters and have just one 6 bolt spare. A lesser $$$ idea is to get a spare 6 bolt rim/tire and 1 adapter. If you have a flat front then you bolt on the adapter and the spare. A flat rear you just bolt on the spare.

Of course all this assumes that you have the true 1 ton rear axle with the true duals, if you have the 5 bolt rear axle with the foolie duals than you on your own and should get the matching front.