House battery overcharging

Fred3

84 Dolphin. 22R & 4 speed stick. No generator. As simple as these motorhomes get. 69k miles. Both the truck battery (passenger side of vehicle) and house battery (drivers side) are under the hood.

I have it plugged in to shore power in my back yard while we're preparing for a weekend at a campground with friends. I noticed today a stain below the engine compartment on the concrete pad. It just appeared today. Opened the hood and the top of the house battery is wet, the result of boiling. No boiling noise or swelling, just moisture at the fill caps.

This battery is only charged by the system associated with shore power that converts ac to dc. (what's it called "inverter" "converter" "whatever") I know what it does, I just don't know it's name.

The battery is not charged by the alternator, because that part of the system isn't doing it's job. The house battery just doesn't get charged. Truck battery does just fine. Alternator works great.

When traveling, we use the house battery for lights and they eventually get dim in a day or two until we plug in and the battery gets charged.

Here's one question,,,

Why is the battery boiling now when it did not before?

The other question,,,

Why does my house battery not charge via the alternator - it should, and the system is all original without modifications.

Any thoughts?

How would I go about trouble shooting this?

Fred

While we're at it - any idea where the fuel filter is? Carb system, not EFI.

84 Dolphin. 22R & 4 speed stick. No generator. As simple as these motorhomes get. 69k miles. Both the truck battery (passenger side of vehicle) and house battery (drivers side) are under the hood.

I have it plugged in to shore power in my back yard while we're preparing for a weekend at a campground with friends. I noticed today a stain below the engine compartment on the concrete pad. It just appeared today. Opened the hood and the top of the house battery is wet, the result of boiling. No boiling noise or swelling, just moisture at the fill caps.

This battery is only charged by the system associated with shore power that converts ac to dc. (what's it called "inverter" "converter" "whatever") I know what it does, I just don't know it's name.

The battery is not charged by the alternator, because that part of the system isn't doing it's job. The house battery just doesn't get charged. Truck battery does just fine. Alternator works great.

When traveling, we use the house battery for lights and they eventually get dim in a day or two until we plug in and the battery gets charged.

Here's one question,,,

The other question,,,

Why does my house battery not charge via the alternator - it should, and the system is all original without modifications.

Any thoughts?

Fred

Here's one question,,,

The other question,,,

Any thoughts?

Fred

I have an 84. Dolphin 22r with stick

The fuel filter is located under the coach, right behind passenger side of cab. Easy access, unlike the efi models. Can't help you with charging question. Someone else will, I'm sure. Enjoy your Toy. :)

I have an 84. Dolphin 22r with stick

The fuel filter is located under the coach, right behind passenger side of cab. Easy access, unlike the efi models. Can't help you with charging question. Someone else will, I'm sure. Enjoy your Toy. :)

Found it! Just as you described.

Thanks.

You need a digital volt meter, so you know what's going on, the converter mine has a adjustment for the charging rate but yours shouldn't have changed are all the cells topped out with water sometimes cells with low water will cause over a charging condition. Yours should have a solinod to allow the alternator to charge it with Eng running. Volt meter!!!!!! it doesn't have to be a expensive one.

BE aware those older convertor chargers are known to be battery boilers if left on too long they will destroy the battery by over charging how old is that battery i have one deep cycle group 24 can go 5 or six days if i dont use the furnece two or three nights of hard furnece runing draws hard on the battery about two days is all i charge myn the new convertors can be left pluged in all time you must clean all that with water and a lot of baking soda if you dont want a lot of perment damage under hood have some one check that battery for starters battery is aways the weakest link in the system some of the fuel filters are up on the frame by the right rear tires on the carb pickup anyway was on 1987 or maybe under hood

As 5Toyota said, the original converters are notorious for cooking batteries, Why did it do it all the sudden??? Its probably been doing it all along, just today you noticed the puddle. Cure for this, you can adjust the voltage level on the converter down a little, maybe 13.4 volts, This will now act as a trickle charger. OR - if you leave your Shore power connected all the time, , consider upgrading your converter to one of the modern three stage converters.

As for the Truck charging the Coach -

You should have an "Isolator" installed that connects the two batteries. It looks like an old style "Starter Relay" a small metal can with two large wires attached, one on each side. (one goes to your truck battery and the other to your coach battery). In the center should be a smaller wire, this should go to your ignition switch. This solenoid should energize (you should have 13.6 volts on it) when your truck is running.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

<br />BE aware those older convertor chargers are known to be battery boilers if left on too long they will destroy the battery by over charging how old is that battery i have one deep cycle group 24 can go 5 or six days if i dont use the furnece two or three nights of hard furnece runing draws hard on the battery about two days is all i charge myn the new convertors can be left pluged in all time you must clean all that with water and a lot of baking soda if you dont want a lot of perment damage under hood have some one check that battery for starters battery is aways the weakest link in the system some of the fuel filters are up on the frame by the right rear tires on the carb pickup anyway was on 1987 or maybe under hood<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The small ckt board on the rt side of the Magnateck powersupply is the battery charger and it's output is adjustable. I was getting 14.0 VDC on the fully charged coach battery when plugged into home 110 or on the generator. I rotated the trimpot on the ckt board 20 degrees CCW and now have 12.91VDC. John

Vanman;

Good reminder, The original Magnatek can be adjusted down so they don't cook the battery. Its more like a trickle charger than a 12 volt supply, I don't think it'll put out more than about 3 amps.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

One of the better investments you can make is to modernize your charger/converter. You can buy a unit that will give you 45 amps both charge and power with good regulation for charging (leave it plugged in as long as you like) for around $200. It makes a huge difference in the time it takes to recharge your battery and they do more then just charge they desufate and float charge also.

• 1 month later...

90toydolphin

I have a 1990 dolphin. would my converter be the newer kind that shouldn't cook the battery? Would there be info on the converter that would tell me? wouldn't want to destroy a $100 battery.

Our 92" Dolphin came with a Magnateck 6325C so yours probably has same or similar. Open the top of the distribution panel and you should see 4 or 5 ckt breakers on the left and a ckt board with fuses to the right. If it's still there the manufactures label inside of the hinged cover will tell you about your converter. See my post above for adjustment advice. To get access to the converter below remove the 4 #4-40 screws on the bottom of distribution panel front cover. Not a bad idea to vaccumm up any dust bunnies whilst your'e there. I found 2 dead mice underneath mine.

vanman

The best way I can think of to see if you have a decent charger is have a look if it has a big old ugly transformer it is not a modern charger if it has a fan and a nice aluminum heat sink it is.