New member here, and want to say thanks for the many bits of information. This Winter, Saskia and I purchased a 1988 Toyota Dolphin 22RE auto. The rig seems to be in pretty good shape and I was needing a new project. This forum left me a bit intrigued with a couple of solar posts. As Harbor Freight had a sale on, it seemed to be an opportunity to experiment with minimum expense.

As I was concerned about using the roof as I thought, the less it is drilled into and walked upon, the better off I would likely be. The next most viable location seemed to be the one I chose (to me). I really wanted to get this in place so instead of buying the aluminium stock at McMaster Carr, I 'gerry rigged' some stuff from my local Ace hardware store. Feel pretty good with how it came out, but it would have been better with real channel instead of riveted angle.

Note worthy as well (purhaps) is the old computer back-up power supply that I had in my junk pile. When the battery went out after many years of use I put it aside with the thoughts of using it as a 'trickle charger'. Got the idea that if coupled to the coach battery, it would likely make a good inverter to use to power the Wifes laptop. Seems to work fine and cost me nothing. Seems our I.T. guy at work has a number of units in the office that have bad batteries and are ready for the junk pile..........

As I have been doing some re-wire work, my battery/water control panel has not been working. Instead of fussing with that, for right now, I modified an inexpensive Mincota trolling battery 'evaluator' that for now seems to meet my needs. Gerry

100_1102.jpg

100_1104.jpg

100_1106.jpg

100_1107.jpg

• 5 months later...

So far, so good. I will take some updated pictures of refined attachments and post pictures in smaller format today or tomorrow. Gerry

here is the adjustable prop (extendable handle for paint roller) for the panels:

100_1172.jpg

here is the 'L' brackets that I used to reinforce the corners of the panel frame:

100_1170.jpg

this is what I used to make sure panels would not lift in the event that I 'hit' 70mph on a long downhill:

100_1171.jpg

additional security to prevent a catastrophic detachment of panel hinge:

100_1169.jpg

here are the end attachments for the 6061 t6 aluminium tube hinge attachment points:

100_1168.jpg

Edited by mrgizmow

Old ups's are generally not a switching type supply meaning they are not real efficient and their run time is low. but as you say they were free. You maybe better served with a modern charger/converter (under $200) they play very nicely with solar regulators and batteries and a small inverter to run the laptop.

Ihave a 1987 DOLPHIN 22re auto model 400 myn has the twin tables.Loaded but no generator. THE 400 seems two be kind of rare has the xtra window too the right side of the rv door. and a barrol chair in side on the right. What model is that from the front looks same of course . Got ours in november

Ihave a 1987 DOLPHIN 22re auto model 400 myn has the twin tables.Loaded but no generator. THE 400 seems two be kind of rare has the xtra window too the right side of the rv door. and a barrol chair in side on the right. What model is that from the front looks same of course . Got ours in november

If you are asking about my rig, to the right of my door is the fridge, with a small section of counter and a cabinet above that. No barrel chair or twin tables. Gerry

My solar panel setup was a low cost experiment to see what I might glean from the sun while the toyhouse sits in the carport most of the year. No longer trust the converter to maintain (cook) the coach battery. As well, just don't seem to be inclined to upgrade the converter board right yet. So far the inexpensive Harbor Freight system has kept the coach battery at full charge while sitting for the last 6 months.

As indicated, this low cost system seems viable as a battery maintainer, and as well for very modest recharge while boondocking. My setup seems to be able to capture sunlight from the front, slight angles off front, and should I prop up flat, I can get the sun while it is comming over the coach. Of course, much depends on how I park and the foliage.

As I am getting the electrical 'center' readied for my new inverter, I noted the regulator for the panels was reading 10.2 volts. The Sun was low, and to the drivers side of the rig. As I left the coach and headed to the shop for more tools, I noted how bright much of the driveway was. As I approached the shop I got an idea.

Before buying the inexpensive panel set that I did, I was very attracted to the 'mobile' suit-case set-ups. A small really portable package that produced 3 to 5 amps was pretty high tech and pricey. A low cost system seemed bulky, and likely produced/delivered to little power to be of much value (just my guess). Then of course, you likely had to move these about as the sun moved. My thought was, instead of moving the panel, why not move the Sun (;)).

100_1173.jpg

100_1174.jpg

Since I am a fan of 'thrift store' shopping I went out this afternoon and purchased one of the many used adjustable tripods I found ($5.00). I plan as well, to purchase a 2'x2' acrylic mirror panel from McMaster Carr. My hope is to upgrade what I tried in the driveway today. It kicked the 10.2 volts upto 12.6. I know, the Sun moves and the mirror will need adjustment. If I am sitting around enjoying the great out of doors I don't think getting up from time to time and readjusting the mirror to pickup a bit more 'free' energy will be a big deal. The tripod is aluminium and light, it collapses down to about 18". The mirror panel I will 'hang' on the side opposite of the one already in the coach. I will let you know what if anything I net, beyond the fun of making it. Gerry

Edited by mrgizmow

I can imagine many of you have been pacing back and forth awaiting the outcome of this project (:)). As I continued, I would sometimes stop and shake my head. Boy can I go off at a tangent, but it is always fun. The cost of this project was about $35. And as the picture shows, there is some value to be gained. If my rig were parked in such a way as to place the solar panels in the shade, this idea may certainly reflect enough energy to offset your energy loss from the use of your led lights for an evening. Seems, at least in my 'test'the suns movement is such that I would be required to adjust the panel every 15 minutes to keep the reflection on the panel. After getting a sense of the direction of movement, I could likely position the 'spot' so it would stay on the panel a bit longer. Set-up is simple and quick. The mirror as mentioned, 'stores' against the wall across from the one that Dolphin installed. Nice thing about mirrors is, they make the inside feel roomier, and again, they reflect the light in the evening.

This was fun for me. Should I find myself with a few extra $$, Think I would be inclined to purchase a higher quality panel likely the size of the mirror (2'X 2'). To this, add about 50 feet of good quality wire of the appropriate gauge and attach to the tripod as it makes set-up and aiming really nice. The updated project may run upwards of $170, but then should I park in the shade, I would not have to be as vigilant chasing the Sun...... Gerry

100_1177.jpg