Little (Rookie) Family of Three seeking the right Mini

Pista

Dear Brothers + Sisters of the Universal RV Mother,

We are writing with questions on purchasing a Toyota Mini-Motorhome.

My wife and I, and our little near three years angelboy, are eager to live the RV life in a little Dolphin, Sunrader, Winnebago Warrior or similar Toyota Mini Motorhome.

We have found one of each:

1. an '87 Toyota Dolphin -

http://santafe.craigslist.org/rvs/2512488990.html

2. a '91 Toyota Winnebago Warrior -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-TOYOTA-WINNEBAGO-WARRIOR-V6-RV-MOTORHOME-GEN-SWEET-/120760608124?pt=RVs_Campers&hash=item1c1de4a57c#ht_5587wt_1167

3. a '90 Toyota Sunrader -

http://portland.reachoo.com/ads/2953488

The first one is just about an hour north of us in Sante Fe, NM (We are currently in Tijeras, NM). We went up to see her and she is in what I would call, at this point, fair condition. Please keep in mind that this is the very first we have ever looked at and do not know how to compare as of yet. But let's just say she needs some TLC. The roof has some leaks, as do the skylights. The generator does not function, but there are solar panels. On the inside she feels a bit "dingy". The current owners shared that they have owned it for 1 year, went to burning man in it with their little family of three, and haven't used it (other than to currently drive to work), since. The whole unit is in need of a deep cleaning. The muffler looks like it's about to fall off. It needs immediate repair. Also, the 'over-drive' does not function, and the awning is completely broken. This was from a superficial inspection.

The owners are very friendly. We came back the next day and told them that we were interested to purchase it and we came down and agreed for the moment on $4,700 from $5,500 asking price. After this we went over the Dolphin again and our new friend stressed some problems with roof leaks again, etc. We had to get the cash together as they were not keen on a check, so we came home. Over the past few days while waiting to access our cash, I have done research, thought about it and intuited, as well as shared my thoughts and feelings with my wife, and vice-versa. I had come to the conclusion that, as we are both total rookies to the RV life in addition to the fact that I know little about cars in general, that purchasing a more reliable and "fresher" i.e more immediately livable RV would be better for our needs. In other words, a Toyota Mini Motorhome that has been well cared for and loved by the owner we are purchasing from.

The money isn't the issue, as I know that we could pay to have many things fixed, but the logistics (i.e. the planning, implementation, and coordination of the details) seem to much considering our little tribes rythm + flow.

On another note, but the same song: we are leaving for S. Oregon mid-Sept to live in and around the Pacific NW for the next year or more. And that is just where the other two RV's are being sold. So that is amazing, though the only challenge is that we cannot see them directly. The ads make them sound nice with good photos that give the impression they are clean and well cared for. I am happy to fly out there to pick one up if that need be and even leave it there for the month until our work here in NM is done. I realize the price is much higher, but they are still in our range. And hey, this is going to be our home - I gotta provide the nest for the best, you know : 0 )

So, the main questions are:

1. Which RV looks like the best suited for our little family?

and

2. Which RV out of the Toyota Mini's have the best reputation all around?

Thanks for taking the time to read and consider our inquiries. Forgive me if this was long-winded, I wanted to give you the info as I see it. Again, I am a total rookie and know less than nothing, so any advice you are happy to share is priceless for us.

Sincere Thanks,

Divinely Inspired Wild Organic Unschooling Family

Familia Undestructable

Pista, Willa & Satya

Pista,

Full time living in a small RV with a 3 year old is going to be tight! We have 2 kids, a 2&4 year old. Just camping on the weekend is tight. (I’m not saying it can’t be done, just going to be very cozy)

I would look for the best you can afford. The Winnebago gets my vote. I would personally avoid the Dolphin, It just sounds like it has the makings of serious water problems…

The best reputation? They are all very similarly built. So it really comes down to the one in the best shape. (IMHO) I like the Dolphins now, but when I was looking for my RV I looked at every make and model in my price range. I had hoped to find a Winnebago for the smooth sides, but we are happy with the Dolphin and the corrugated siding…

Best of luck to you and your family!

Andrew.

I don't know what your budget is but that first one sounds like a train wreck. I own a 91 Winnie it has been great. It was well maintained and everything ran, worked was in good condition when i bought it.. The front windows are prone to leaking, mine had just started to when i got it, no structural damage, you want to avoid that. I had it popped out and reinstalled by our local auto glass co. Also replaced the charging system, one of the other members on the forum had a link to a drop in replacement unit. Other than that never needed anything. make sure the engine recall has been done if you get one of the v-6's. Also would recommend replacing all the tires when you get it, we had a blow out and ours showed no signs of weak, cracking, drying out etc., fortunately no damage done to the rig. Also make sure no one has been towing things with it, ours had a large cargo box attached to the back and had cracked the frame, took it off and had it welded. If the budget allows, I would highly recommend getting the best you an afford rather than getting a fixer. There are often some nice ones on the classifieds on this web site.

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for writing. Yes, I can see how it may be very cozy. Thank you for the advice. We have been leaning in the direction of the best we can afford, and now that you confirm it, we will go that route. Yes, the Winnebago looks cherry in the photos. Thanks for the note on the Dolphin. We love the Dolphins too, and they have been our favorite since some close friends of ours bought one about 6 months ago. But the one we looked at seems that it could be problematic. The Winnebago has our vote too. It is in the best shape as you suggest and it feels right. If we don't get that one, we'll apply the same line of reason to the others we find.

Thank you again Andrew, for taking the time to read our post and reply with your good common sense.

All the best to your familywink.gif

Pista

Pista,

Full time living in a small RV with a 3 year old is going to be tight! We have 2 kids, a 2&4 year old. Just camping on the weekend is tight. (I'm not saying it can't be done, just going to be very cozy)

I would look for the best you can afford. The Winnebago gets my vote. I would personally avoid the Dolphin, It just sounds like it has the makings of serious water problems…

The best reputation? They are all very similarly built. So it really comes down to the one in the best shape. (IMHO) I like the Dolphins now, but when I was looking for my RV I looked at every make and model in my price range. I had hoped to find a Winnebago for the smooth sides, but we are happy with the Dolphin and the corrugated siding…

Best of luck to you and your family!

Andrew.

Hi Liz,

Thank you for writing. Yes we feel the same way about the '87 Dolphin. We are looking for one in the same kind of condition as your Winnie was when you bought her. We plan on heeding your advice and getting the best we can afford, and not a fixer. Thanks for the confirmation, sincerely! I will keep an eye out for the classifieds. Thank you for all of your excellent down-to-earth advice. We need all we can get and are grateful.

All the best to you!

Pista

I don't know what your budget is but that first one sounds like a train wreck. I own a 91 Winnie it has been great. It was well maintained and everything ran, worked was in good condition when i bought it.. The front windows are prone to leaking, mine had just started to when i got it, no structural damage, you want to avoid that. I had it popped out and reinstalled by our local auto glass co. Also replaced the charging system, one of the other members on the forum had a link to a drop in replacement unit. Other than that never needed anything. make sure the engine recall has been done if you get one of the v-6's. Also would recommend replacing all the tires when you get it, we had a blow out and ours showed no signs of weak, cracking, drying out etc., fortunately no damage done to the rig. Also make sure no one has been towing things with it, ours had a large cargo box attached to the back and had cracked the frame, took it off and had it welded. If the budget allows, I would highly recommend getting the best you an afford rather than getting a fixer. There are often some nice ones on the classifieds on this web site.

Say way a way from water damage, make sure the fridge works (expensive), six bolt rear is a must, tires should not be a deal breaker but can be a good bargaining tool, fiberglass body if you can find one (there are a few). The 6 has more power but the 4 is tough as nails neither one is a blazing performer so don't tell any one when you'll be there take your time, enjoy and arrive when you get there. Let some one that knows cars/trucks drive it and see what they think about the engine/trans most of the other stuff is no big deal. When it comes time to sell every one gets 19-20 MPG unlike the 13/14 they are really getting and they are in excellent shape with no leaks don't believe them! go see for your self or hire a local to do it (many shops will do that for a fee). We travel with a Great Dane (much bigger then a 3 year old) it's tight no room to dance or swing a cat but once you are settled ever thing is OK, sit and read drink some wine while some one else cooks it will work out.

PIsta,

My wife and I are planning at least 3 months of living in our 86' Dolphin that we just bought. For reference sake, it was tough finding the right one and (un?)fortunately we decided to go the fixer upper route. We have a 50lb heeler and a 24lb son that is as rambunctious as they come - and we're excited :)

We're relocating from Colorado to Oregon and I looked EVERYWHERE! We were looking at units from $4000 - 10,000 and I will say that if you have the capability to do repairs yourself, you have the time and energy then you may be able to score a deal. Otherwise I would generally agree with everyone else; buy the best you can period. I think you'll get used to any floor plan, any model...etc

I really wish I was able to find a manual transmission, this is my first automatic. I've a mechanic by trade and have had no issues going through my entire rig the last 5 weeks. It is exhausting, but I've come to know this thing really well and we haven't even slept in it yet! Tons of great help and great people on this board, as well as the yahoo group. It is very worth looking (physically) at a few more before you make a decision. Be sure to run everything, try everything, get on the roof, drive it, plug it in, check for leaks, ask for records, bring a multimeter, have the owner fill up the tanks (water and propane), run the fridge...etc

Jam your nose in the cushions and smell for smoke, put pressure all over the inside windows (especially the cab over) to check for soft spots...etc

We got a great deal on ours (monetarily) and have had a frustrating love affair fixing it up. We're about ready to roll this punk LONG distance and sure hope our family of 4 does well. If you have any reason you'd like to come up to Colorado to look at a few I know of a VERY nice gentleman (2 actually) selling units - one is a 89' Warrior V6 for around $7k (very worth it) and another is a 87' Dolphin for around $8k (though I suspect if its still available the owner would easily come to $7.5 or 7k). Both were well cared for units that I inspected/drove myself.

Best of luck to you and your family unit.

Austin

Hi Maineah,

Wow! Thanks for all the straight-shootin' info thumbup.gif

My wife and I were so excited when we first saw our first Dolphin that we didn't even think of checking everything out right away. Thanks to you and the other kind folks who responded, now we know for the better. My wife's brother did come with us though, to check her out for us. We had a feeling that once we are settled, regardless of which we decided on, we'd be alright. Where's my wine?...

Sincere Thanks,

Pista

Say way a way from water damage, make sure the fridge works (expensive), six bolt rear is a must, tires should not be a deal breaker but can be a good bargaining tool, fiberglass body if you can find one (there are a few). The 6 has more power but the 4 is tough as nails neither one is a blazing performer so don't tell any one when you'll be there take your time, enjoy and arrive when you get there. Let some one that knows cars/trucks drive it and see what they think about the engine/trans most of the other stuff is no big deal. When it comes time to sell every one gets 19-20 MPG unlike the 13/14 they are really getting and they are in excellent shape with no leaks don't believe them! go see for your self or hire a local to do it (many shops will do that for a fee). We travel with a Great Dane (much bigger then a 3 year old) it's tight no room to dance or swing a cat but once you are settled ever thing is OK, sit and read drink some wine while some one else cooks it will work out.

Hi Austin,

Thanks for writing and sharing your current adventure story! Yes, our son is rambunctious too, but not as much as my wife laugh.gif Congratulations on your Dolphin, that is great that you are able to check her out and fix her up yourself. Bravo! Thank you for letting us know about the girls for sale in Colorado. Yes, I agree that, if she is in good condition, you can make any one a happy little home, regardless of floorplan. Where are you off to in Oregon?

Yes, I will make sure to go over everything from now on. I didn't even know what to go over, much less how to do it, this first time. We are learning as we go, and our learning curve is, well, curvy.

Thanks again for writing Austin. We wish your little tribe a swell trip and adventure. Do keep us posted if you are inspired to write again.

All the best,

Pista

PIsta,

My wife and I are planning at least 3 months of living in our 86' Dolphin that we just bought. For reference sake, it was tough finding the right one and (un?)fortunately we decided to go the fixer upper route. We have a 50lb heeler and a 24lb son that is as rambunctious as they come - and we're excited :)

We're relocating from Colorado to Oregon and I looked EVERYWHERE! We were looking at units from $4000 - 10,000 and I will say that if you have the capability to do repairs yourself, you have the time and energy then you may be able to score a deal. Otherwise I would generally agree with everyone else; buy the best you can period. I think you'll get used to any floor plan, any model...etc

I really wish I was able to find a manual transmission, this is my first automatic. I've a mechanic by trade and have had no issues going through my entire rig the last 5 weeks. It is exhausting, but I've come to know this thing really well and we haven't even slept in it yet! Tons of great help and great people on this board, as well as the yahoo group. It is very worth looking (physically) at a few more before you make a decision. Be sure to run everything, try everything, get on the roof, drive it, plug it in, check for leaks, ask for records, bring a multimeter, have the owner fill up the tanks (water and propane), run the fridge...etc

Jam your nose in the cushions and smell for smoke, put pressure all over the inside windows (especially the cab over) to check for soft spots...etc

We got a great deal on ours (monetarily) and have had a frustrating love affair fixing it up. We're about ready to roll this punk LONG distance and sure hope our family of 4 does well. If you have any reason you'd like to come up to Colorado to look at a few I know of a VERY nice gentleman (2 actually) selling units - one is a 89' Warrior V6 for around $7k (very worth it) and another is a 87' Dolphin for around $8k (though I suspect if its still available the owner would easily come to $7.5 or 7k). Both were well cared for units that I inspected/drove myself.

Best of luck to you and your family unit.

Austin