New RVer with rookie questions! :-)

Jorge Valente

Hi,

Glad to find these posts here. I'm completely new to the RV world and just purchased a 1987 New Horizon. I've learned a lot from this site but still some things I can't figure out and let's see if you guys can help me:

- Water: I can't seem to fill it properly with water. I stick a hose in there to fill it up and it spits water back at me. Even if I pour it slow, I can't fill the tank up more than 1/3. Do I need a special fitting/hose? The other day I filled it up to 1/3, and without using it (or barely using it) my gauge was indicating that it was empty again. Is this the sign of a leak? This is for the "non-pressurized" little water entrance. On the other side of the RV I have what looks like an actual hose input. Is this to hook up a hose to and have water running constantly (from the spout) without having to use the tank?

- More water: I have Holding Tank 1 and Holding Tank 2. I presume one is for water and the other is waste (bathroom , etc...) Which is which?

- Can the RV get power without being hooked up? I thought that was what the Auxiliary battery was for (at least to power up the plugs)...I have two on/off switches right at the entrance of the cabin that I can't figure out what they are for. I thought they would be to switch to the Auxiliary battery.

Thanks for your help folks. C you out on the roads!

Jorge

You should be able to fill the fresh tank all the way full. You said its only 1/3 full, Are you looking at the tank or the gauge? I just can't think of any reason why the tank would only fill 1/3 full, I guess its possible the filler neck tube could be broke and slid down inside the tank, but if this happened, I would suspect a major leak!

Gauges are notoriously faulty, especially when they are 20 plus year old. There are several styles of sensors for the tanks. My Dolphin has the capacitive type, there are 2 large aluminum foil sheets on the sides of each tank that sense the water level. Some use multiple probes that stick ion the side of the tank and sense when liquid touches them.

You need to find out what style you have. The procedure on mine is to fill the tank(s) all the way up (verify by looking at the tank) then use a small screwdriver and adjust the gauge so it reads full.

The City water connection is as you suspect. Make sure you use a regulator on your city water hose to keep the pressure from popping your water lines.

ELECTRICAL POWER

110Vac outlets only have power when your plugged into shore power (or if you have a generator).

The coach battery is 12 volts only. It does NOT supply power to outlets. The coach 12 Vdc system supplies power to lights, furnace, water pump, and the frig if you have 12 volt option.

The coach 12 volt system connects to the trucks 12 volt system through a big relay called an "Isolator". The "Isolator" is energized when the truck s ignition is ON. this allows the trucks alternator to charge the coach battery.

The coach battery is also recharged when the coach is plugged into shore power. A box called a "Converter" charges the battery and supplies power to the 12 volt system.

I'm not sure what the switches are for??, mine doesn't have these.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks John.

As for the water, I am looking at the gauges, not the tank. Didn't know there was a way I could actually look inside the tank. How do I see that? Under the camper itself? Where I fill the tank up, the hole is about the size of a regular hose (maybe a bit bigger) but as you look inside it gets narrower and narrower...ie the hose can't go in all the way, which is why I think it keeps spitting water back at me when I try to fill it up. Is this normal or do I have some sort of weird concotion?

I have a feeling my gauges must be faulty. Because like I said, I put water in there (well 1/3 full according to the gauges)...then by the end of the day, barely using it it was showing both Holding Tank 1 and 2 as empty and I have not dumped anything yet. That water that I put in there must have gone somewhere right? So I either have a leak or the gauges are faulty...does that sound right?

Which holding tank is water and which is bathroom? 1 or 2? Or does it vary by each RV?

Thanks!

Jorge

Ok...I'm understanding a lot more now. My Fresh Water Tank is located under one of the seats inside the RV. I can't really see the water level or anything like that as the space is kinda tight. I did attach a pic (photo2) so you can see. There are four little "electrodes" that I are to detect the water level. Are they working properly or how to test them? I have no idea...post-5483-0-12340600-1312585922_thumb.jp

Then underneath the car I have two tanks (which I presume are Holding Tank 1 and 2, which attach to the dump place.

As for water, I attached a photo of the Fresh Water intake (photo1). You cant really see in this pic but the intake (where the cap is) gets really narrow really quick. Is this where I stick the hose? Or is it the other hole? Whats the other hole for?post-5483-0-63626200-1312585976_thumb.jp

Last but not least is the two on/off switches right next to the door that I cant figure out what they do. They must be there for a reason though!post-5483-0-34459500-1312586100_thumb.jp

Thanks! I know these are probably really silly questions...but again..this is my first RV :-)

Jorge

The stock gauges are notoriously poor they usually are a 25% guess. Yours has 4 sensors 4/4, 3/4, 2/4, and 1/4. The bigger one is where you put the fresh water in all of the Toyota's have that small port I have no ideal what it's for mine is not hooked up to any thing and other ones I have seen have no hook up either if any one has a clue I would like to know too. One of your switches looks stock the other is an add on could be for any thing the other might be for your water pump. Yes a 40-45 psi regulator is what you need.

I'm not familiar with that sensor, maybe someone else can chime in. Get a photo of you panel. mine has a small adjustment resistor beside each of the pushbuttons. Fill the tank up, then hold the button in while adjusting the small resistor so the tank reads full.

You might be able to see the water sloshing around in the tank, take a flashlight and put it up against the tank

The small hole is a vent.

Tank 1 and 2 are probably your black (toilet) and gray (dish water / shower/sink) holding tanks

No idea what the switches are (porch light??)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 auto

Jorge-

If your tank fill hole is spitting water back at you, the tank is probably full! The small hole next to the bigger hole that you fill the tank with is a vent. It allows air to escape from the tank as the water level rises inside. If you can't see the water level through the side of the tank under the bunk, turn on the cold water faucet at the kitchen sink but don't turn on the pump-leave it off. Then go outside and start adding water to the tank fill hole. If the tank is full, you'll see water coming out of the faucet at the sink. Like John Mc says, one of the switches near the entrance may be an outside porch light. A good way to find out what the switches are for is to wait until after dark, then go outside and try the switches. You might see a light or two you didn't know you had.

As far as your tanks go, the black water tank (the sewage one) is probably right under the toilet and/or shower. The grey water tank (sinks, shower) is probably under or very close to the drain for the kitchen sink.

Good Luck!

John

Ok...so I was able to see the water in my fresh water tank and indeed the sensors are not working properly. The water was at about 1/2 full while the panel was showing empty. Heres a pic of my panel John: post-5483-0-06853900-1312653059_thumb.jp. Any easy ways to fix this discrepancy without having to take it into shop for a huge overhaul?

So now the question is...now that I know that my sensors/gauges are faulty, how will I know when it's time to dump my waste?

One final question...is it safe/possible to tow a vehicle behind these Toyota Motorhomes?

Thanks for all your help everybody!Jorge

Can't help you on the panel. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

Not sure about towing, most can't. depends on if the receiver hitch is beefed up or not.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

i am shure those senser are nice but i maybe able to tell you my minimax has no sensers at all other than a meter for the house battery if you only have one wa st e tank right under the tolit i just shine a flashlight down the tolit i can aways tell how full it is mabe this would bother some but it works my freash water tank is a clearwhite at night i set a flashlight on top i can see the water leval easy my freash water fill is visable under table seat the small line is conected to the top of the tank i am thinking to serve as an air vent while the tank filles i do have a reducer screws on hose fits in the filler hole helps is in rv catlog got myn at yard sale