hid headlights

markamx

hi, i have a 86 toyota mini cruiser i just got 2 mounths ago brougt home and found out the engine was cooked so i purshaced a new remand engine for 1300.00 shipped to my door its a 22re engine but over all were very happy we go camping all the time now heres my qustin has anybody upgraded there stock headlights to hid lights like the ones used in newer cars/trucks the rv lights suck my fog lights are brighter than the headlights it must be something with toyotas my 4 runner is the same but if any body has any info on the conversion or what kit to buy it would help thanks

I've never heard of anyone upgrading to HID.

Have you just got regular seal beam headlight? Have you tried upgrading to a good halogen unit? Also check all your connection (including the ground) to make sure the lights are getting the full voltage. You might also consider upgrading the wiring to the headlights and adding a relay to the circuit (if there isn't already one).

Wow will that thing go fast enough to require HID (big bucks) lamps? I replaced mine with standard halogen head lamps made a big difference.

hi, i have a 86 toyota mini cruiser i just got 2 mounths ago brougt home and found out the engine was cooked so i purshaced a new remand engine for 1300.00 shipped to my door its a 22re engine but over all were very happy we go camping all the time now heres my qustin has anybody upgraded there stock headlights to hid lights like the ones used in newer cars/trucks the rv lights suck my fog lights are brighter than the headlights it must be something with toyotas my 4 runner is the same but if any body has any info on the conversion or what kit to buy it would help thanks

who did you buy your motor from?

Derek up North you are right on very good use those on my 1988 4wd toyota pickup low beam 55 watts highbeam65 watts stock halogen are often 35 watts on low 45 to maybe55 watts on high silver star much much briter my moter home takes round only 1978 had one halgen one old incandect all four junk so old all the silver had fell off the inside worthless i am close to 60 i need more light i put on all new halogen what a differance that night i missed a huge truck tire cap laying across the freway lane

I added HIDs to our our Sunrader for $108.34 last December. They work great, nice and bright white, and only consumes 35W each! You will need headlights that will accept a replacement light bulb, such as a H4. Then you can buy a HID kit with an H4 style bulb. There are actually 3 types of HID kits. The least expensive will only offer low beams. Next, HID low beam with a halogen high beam/bulb. The best is a HID bulb that changes in height for both low and high, sometimes referred to as a Bi-Xenon. Go easy on the color temperature, 5000K is similar to what auto manufacturers offer (if too high, then it will appear blue to purple, or maybe that is what you want). I purchased ours on eBay.

Note: The only negative is depending on the one you purchased, the High beam indicator may not work on the dashboard (needs load in harness).

Which of the 3 types did you get for $108? And how much did your H4 headlights cost you? What brand? Just as important as the output of the bulb being used are the optics of the lens. Lots of light might be nice, but it's got to be controlled to shine where you want it. Without bothering oncoming traffic, of course.

The H4 headlights I brought were made by "autopal" (http://autopal.com/). You can get them on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item3ef4015edd, I paid $42.49. They have nice optics on them, and hide the bulbs (so one cannot tell by looking at them they are HIDs, there are some with clear lens). There is a sharp cutoff to on coming traffic, but the light is scattered on the right (for use in the USA). A picture of my headlight is below, it is not as clear as it really is, since there is a slight layer of mist on it (took picture on a wet day).

Regarding the HIDs themselves, I brought the Bi-Xenon with a color temperature of 5000K. I paid $65.85 for them. You can theses also on eBay, it appears that they lowered the price (http://cgi.ebay.com/...1#ht_6320wt_939).

Currently there are some vendors on eBay selling both together now.

I hope this helps!

post-2114-0-64216800-1310527612_thumb.jp