Can I Haul a (heavy) Schwinn Tandem Bike by Mounting on Ladder?

Guitarzan

Hi everybody! I have a '86 Toyota Granville and would like to be able to transport my 1971 Schwinn Tandem Twinn 5-speed bicycle. I don't know the weight of this bike (I found one reference online that said it was 64 lbs., but frankly, it feels much heavier than this.). Soooo.... Will the ladder in back support the weight of this bike? Also, do they make bicycle racks for these ladders that will hold a tandem bike, or will I have to jerry-rig with rope, bungee cords, etc.? I am hoping to take the motorhome out this weekend so it's very important that I find out as quickly as possible. I don't want to hurt the motorhome in any way. I am guessing (guessing being the operative word) that if it the ladder can (presumably) support a 200 lb. man climbing up and down the ladder that I should be okay with the bike, though of course, the bike's weight will be sustained.

If someone can help me with this question I would be very grateful! :-)

THANKS!

Rob

Edited by Guitarzan

If you have no choice then make sure to regularly check the seal where the ladder meets the roof so you don't get any leaks. I'm no engineer, but honestly I wouldn't recommend it hanging there for extended periods of time.

I've looked at my ladder to see how the loads are transferred. I was thinking of making a bracket to mount on my ladder to carry an extra propane bottle (about 30 lbs)

In my case, the bottle should be mounted high to keep the weight as high as possible (The ladder is like a pendulum, so if the weight is near the bottom, this places a lot of horizontal stress on the ladder from starting/stopping.

The entire weight that's on the ladder is resting on the roof, at the two points where the ladder is secured to the roof. The Roof screws aren't supporting any weight, perhaps small shear loads (sideways) when the ladder is wiggling around (climbing on it, truck moving, etc. .

However, Horizontal loads (pulling the ladder aft) are introduced if your leaning backwards while on the ladder, I've made it a point to keep my body close to the ladder when climbing up and down, this reduces the "pulling" of the ladder aft.

Obviously, if stuff were mounted on the ladder while traveling, the weight would be placed on the roof, but the fore and aft (truck starting and stopping) would apply and places stress on the points where the ladder is secured to the back of the coach. (trying to pull the ladder away from the coach)

What prompted this informal analysis, was the screws on the back of my coach were loose. I was thinking I might need to replace the screws with a bolt that went all the way through the back wall, and place a large area washer and nut on the inside of the coach. The back screws are not supporting any vertical weight, just the horizontal loads (ladder pulling away from the coach)

I decided to just replace the original screws with larger screws. The new screws gripped OK, so I should be almost as good as new.

I think the ladder would be OK if the weight can be kept very close to the ladder, and not hang out away from the ladder. The load needs to be tight against the ladder so its bot banging and acting like a hammer. Inspect the screws that hold the ladder to the back of the coach. If I was going to mount heavy stuff on my ladder (100lbs??), I would look closely at replacing the back screws with bolts/nuts that go all the way through. I think if the lader is in good shape, the screws are tight, and you can mount the bike vertically against the ladder, you would be OK.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Before figuring out how to hang it up there, have you tried yet to try hoisting the 60-80lbs up there> I don't know how fit you are, though having a tandem implies that there are two of you.

Why not carry it on the bumper? It seems to me that the most weight that's usually hung on ladders is aluminum chairs.

swagman-80605-rv-2-bike-bumper-racks-200.jpg

Swagman 2 Bike RV Bumper Rack

SKU: 80605

The Swagman 2 bike RV bumper rack

is an inexpensive way to carry two

bikes on the back of your RV or camper.

Solid steel construction and quick mounting make this bike rack ideal.

Fits: 4" to 4.5" Square RV Bumpers

sale-tag-10.gif

Only $69

this and other options exist @ http://www.prolineracks.com/rv-bumper-camper-roof-bike-racks.html

Derek - You must have been watching when I hoisted my extra Spare tire up the ladder. I tied a rope around it and my wife pushed from the bottom and I pulled from the top, We should have sold tickets to this show. :-)

Lee, Thats a neat looking rack, and not to expensive. (My wfie and I talked about including bikes on our next trip) The rear bumper on the Dolphin is sheet metal, but this might work if the bikes arn't to heavy, and they are tied to the ladder to help secure them from bouncing.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

We have a ladder mounted bike rack that has routinely carried two bicycles (probably 45-50# each) for three years. Your tandom probably does not weigh more than that.

The rack holds the bike's vertically by the bar running from the seat to the pedals. You just have to mount it at the right height on the ladder.

I had a rear bumper mounted spare on the sunrader. I mounted a bike rack to the tire. I then concocted a rope suspension system which ran from the rack to each of the sunrader's roof mounted rack. This carried 3 bikes across country and back with no problems. I suggest you try strapping the bike to the ladder, then running something up to the roof rack to help carry the load.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been thinking about the same question. I am reluctant to mount to the ladder as it is questionable, starting to split at a step (where can I get a new ladder?). I am reluctant to mount on the back bumper as I have a long (21') Sunrader and it has that cool golf club box on the back, so anything I put on is waaay out there.

Any thoughts on this? I had considered putting a rack on the front bumper, but I'm a bit worried about it blocking my view and the headlights.