Cabin Door Lock (opens itself)

Lee & Joan

On my 86 Sunrader the cabin door will remain locked when it is parked and not moving. However once I go down the road in only a few miles I find that the door has unlocked itself. It does not swing open or anything but it is unlocked. The lock (perhaps a Bargman?) works by two semicircles that open and shut around a frame mounted post. The post looks to be adjustable for protrusion distance and has serations that trap the door locks semicircular "clamshell" in a groove. Anybody else had this problem and know how to fix it?

I haven't looked at mine to see if it does this! I know it vibrates enough that one of the screws falls out (I need to put some blue LockTight on it.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

ours has bad wood where the strike bolts on lokes but i dont trust it on the road i have a red neck rope ha ha across the door my son has an old scamp tralier the door came open once did a little damege

Had the exact same problem on the 1983. No parts are available unless you have them custom machined. The striker is adjustable and may help. My striker had a section on it that was worn down. A combination of playing with the adjustment and cleaning/lubing the door side of the mechanism eventually got it to work as designed. Until I solved then I hooked a bungee cord from the inner door latch to the passenger headrest mast. Good luck.

• 11 months later...

I just played with it a little bit and found out that the mushroom headed stud that is on the cabin plate was worn on two places. I flipped it over with the worn areas reversed and it seems to be holding now. I would still like to find a relplacement stud if anyone knows where to source one.

My Lock did something like this as well, in that after driving for a few hours, my door would be unlocked, even though I had locked it with the key, and was in the locked position. In my circumstance, the long lock button on the inside of the door was vibrating loose unscrewing itself. For some reason that caused the door to be accessed even when locked. As soon as I opened the door, I pulled it to the unlock position and screwed it back in. I then shut the door and locked it with the key and the door was again locked and would again not open when pulled. My fix was to put some BLUE locktite on the threads of the lock button so it would not loosen anymore. I have not had the problem since. Dont use the red, as it will adhere a tighter bond, and make it too difficult to remove later on if the door latch would require any work or lubrication. Hope this is something that helps, and Peace!

My MH had a Schlag deadbolt installed when I bought it. I like it because is is a better quality lock than the door knob lock. The previous owner said that they had the deadbolt installed because the factory lock was unlocking itself. It is a simple solution and works really well. I can also go just about anywhere and get extra keys made.