hot water heater tank

I pulled out my WH tank a discovered a hole about half the size of a dime, I'm not sure what material this tank is if its shiny steel or aluminum. It came out of my 86 toyota new horizon, also wondering if its alright to just take it to the local welding shop and have em hit a spot weld on it.

easey to check with a magnet steel sticks aluimum wont they do sell some tanksonly might be cheper than whole unit complete 300 or so i think the aluimum tank more prone to corosion i have a catlog showes steal replacement tanks only or whole unit you can try welding but more of the tank ma be thin could last or not last at all

easey to check with a magnet steel sticks aluimum wont they do sell some tanksonly might be cheper than whole unit complete 300 or so i think the aluimum tank more prone to corosion i have a catlog showes steal replacement tanks only or whole unit

New water heaters are cheap. I found one, new in box on CL for 100 bucks. New from a store about 300.

Welding steel that thin is awfully difficult and not likely to last. If you can locate the leak and it's on the outside of the tank, you might try patching it with some JB weld or similar. Wouldn't cost you much in time or money to give it a shot.

I think the tanks are anodized steel the problem is the drain is not on the bottom and all the crud lays there and eats away at the very bottom of the tank. You can buy just the tank but for about $30 more you can buy the whole unit.

cool thanx your right the hole is in the very middle of the bottom, i might try the jb weld for a quick fix

I think the tanks are anodized steel the problem is the drain is not on the bottom and all the crud lays there and eats away at the very bottom of the tank. You can buy just the tank but for about $30 more you can buy the whole unit.