I got off the phone with the Monrow tech. He said the following shocks should fit. Which one should I use? The longest one with the most travel? 58627? The 58486 is the one recommended for toyota pick ups, but the pick up is not the motorhome set up in the rear. The 58486 18 inch shock will not reach the mounting locations according to my measurements with the suspension under its own load wheels on the ground. I would have to put some weight in it to compress the suspension. Ideally, don't you want the forces pushing out when the wheels are on the ground (meaning you would have to compress the shock to make it on the mounting pionts? That is why I was thinking of going with the longer shock. Any thoughts?

Upper Mounting CodeL1 Lower Mounting CodeL1 Compressed Length11 1/8" Extended Length18" Travel Length6 7/8"

Upper Mounting CodeL1 Lower Mounting CodeL1 Compressed Length12 1/2" Extended Length20 3/8" Travel Length7 7/8"

Upper Mounting CodeL1 Lower Mounting CodeL1 Compressed Length14 1/4" Extended Length22 1/2" Travel Length8 1/4"

Since you've gone to the trouble of measuring the distance between your shock mounts, you're in good shape to select the best shock. You want to use one that's in the middle of the shocks operating range. You don't want it bottoming out or over extending. Also, if you've raised the rear ride height, check the adjustment of the rear brake load compensating valve. It should be set at maximum, since these are always at maximum (or over) load. You don't want your raised rear end fooling it into thinking that you're a lightly loaded pickup!

The stock shocks I took off when you measure from center of bushing to bushing go from 23 inches fully extended to 13.5 inches fully compressed. I assume they never get to these extremes, but the 58627 model is the closest to these measurements. Am I figuring this correctly?

I went with the Monroe Sensatrac 58627. I mounted them and the fit no problem. Just had to jack up the shock a couple of inches with the frame on stands and the rear end dropped down.

Compressed Length14 1/4" Extended Length22 1/2" Travel Length8 1/4"

I compared the Monroe 58567 to the gabriels 43048 and they are the same size extended, so I went with the longest monroe that fit. I have not test driven it with a load. Waiting for the fronts and steering damper to come in.

• 8 months later...

i see this is talk about shocks for 1990 odessy. i have a 90 dolphin and it needs shocks and i really don't want to be shipping the wrong ones back and forth. my dolphin has rear air bags in addition to leaf springs. my guess is this would change the shock requirement.but listings don't list air bags as a variable. does yours have the air bags? how did the ones you use work out? my shocks let me do the bucking bronc thing when i hit uneven seems on a bridge. i am looking at the KYB GR2. 343209 for the front and 344090 for the rear. i think those are the ones you ended up getting. thanks for your time in advance and anyone else who would like to chime in.

The correct shocks in the Gas Magnum line is the 34803R. See if you can find the lengths of it and then match to the

Sensatrac.