Traveling with a toddler

My wife and I are heading out on a 6 week journey in September with our 2 year old. Has anyone done this? She seems to be alright sitting in her carseat, but we've had trouble finding a good place for her to nap. Has anyone done a crib conversion or anything crazy like that?

Any tips I should know?

Thanks,

Eric in Sacramento

1988 22' Odyssey

Small travel cribs are available. Only can be used while parked though. Used ones are cheap and it will break down for storage when you driving. if you have a dinette this should slide into the area where the table goes

If you want to drive she will have to sleep in the car seat for safety

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bab/2395131025.html

Linda S

My wife and I are heading out on a 6 week journey in September with our 2 year old. Has anyone done this? She seems to be alright sitting in her carseat, but we've had trouble finding a good place for her to nap. Has anyone done a crib conversion or anything crazy like that?

Any tips I should know?

Thanks,

Eric in Sacramento

1988 22' Odyssey

I would think that an energetic toddler would do better sleeping in a car seat than she would just sitting in one. I suggest you plan on many short legs on your trip rather than trying to knock out 800 mile days.

Has anyone ever even done an 800 mile day? I think our longest was the first day of our trip out west. Ellington, Ct to the sunrader's hometown, Elkhart, In. It was pretty close to 800.

I tried "fencing" her in to the area under the banquette, but she quickly figured out there's a window up there and that was over fast.

Next we tried a pack and play, but unfortunately, they are too big. When we're parked, we can pull out the rear bed, put the pack and play on top, and that works, but I was hoping to not have to fold it up and unfold it every day.

In terms of mileage, she sleeps pretty well in the carseat and travels exceptionally well while awake in it. SInce she was 6 weeks old, I've locked her into the stroller and taken her running for two hours each day. That probably has something to do with it. But, no, we won't be making any 800 mile days. 400 max, and not many of those.

Your wife will be riding in the back?

She tends to go back and forth. If my daughter (Sunny) is content, Sam will ride up front, if she's fussy, she's in the back. Probably 50/50.

We're lucky in that our layout has the extra large window in the back (takes up pretty much the entire back wall), so Sunny just watches cars and the world go by.