Carpet Removal/Wood installation project

Hi all,

I am in the process of remaking my Dolphin the way I want her. I purchased a bunch of laminate wood flooring for cheap and was wondering if anybody had any pointers? I have culled the boards and the Yahoo forum, so I already know quite a bit about it. Just wondering if anybody else had gone through this and had any extra veteran knowledge, for a youngsta like myself. Thanks, you guys and gals are amazing!

Guess I'm not the one to ask I put in laminate lived with it awhile and replaced it with new carpet guess you can say I got cold feet! There are several members that have installed laminate and love it hopefully they will chime in and give you a hint or two.

Project Completed. It took me about two days. Would have gone faster, but some of the angles around the fridge and fuse box, were a pain. I will have pictures up in the next couple of days. All I need now is to finish it up with the trim and she will be ready to roll for my trip to Oregon next week. She has really come together nicely in the last two weeks.

Very Nice!

Got to make sure I delete the link to this one so my wife doesn't see it. <_<

I'm always amazed at how people take these 25 year olds and turn them into "like new" :ThumbUp: :ThumbUp:

john Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Floor looks nice!

The wife and i want to replace our carpet with a wood floor this winter. I like to do some hunting and the wood floor i think would be much better as you can just sweep it out and take a wet cloth to it. Do you worry about taking the old carpet out from under the cabinets or just cut it along the old cabinets? Once the new wood floor is down and the trim is on you would not see any of the old carpet under the cabinets...... Also once you cut out all the old carpet do you put anything under the new wood floor?

Eddie in Texas

I have enough head room. So I removed the carpet, glued down a 1/2" ridged foil faced foam. Then glued on 1/2" 8 layer cabinet plywood. Covered with a single piece of vinyl floor cover, caulked the edges. Spills are no problem and the floor mops quickly.

A couple of cheap hall runners and I have a warm floor, it also made things quieter when driving..

Cut the carpet along the edges. Take care not to scuff or scrape the wood. Depending on the condition of you're carpet, it could be a lil easier to get up. Mine was a bit of a nightmare. So many staples after you remove the carpet! Don't worry about them. Just remove excess bits of carpet from the staples. I then used Killz on all the exposed wood and let that dry. After the Killz dried, I used foam underlayment (which cost as much the deal i got on flooring ~$25). After that I started laying the laminate flooring and voila! Be careful, around the vents can be a nightmare and good luck :)