Two Tanks, toggle switch, brass floor valve, HELP!!!

JonnyRawcon

I just bought a 78 Mini-Max and I am trying to figure out fuel storage. Gauge doesn't register anything. Under dash(below gauge) is a 3-place toggle with label stating "Main * Aux fuel". On the floor between seats is a brass valve that has "F" and "R" on the handle(depending which way it's flipped.

I am assuming that the floor valve switches between front and rear tanks. I am assuming that the toggle is a cut off for the tanks(?). While driving, I put toggle in center position. The engine died shortly(20 sec) after.

So...What is the toggle for and what is the floor valve for, and why does my gauge not work???

the 1978 use in tank pump eletic switches change one fuel pump in each tank brass valve comenly used too switch from main to reserve tank i have only seen one other minimax ther is one in webbers auto wrecking in yakima wash see ours on my profile i only have one tank 1977 1976 1978 used eletric pump get haynes truck book 1969 1978 not much computor ex thats what i use 20r moter truck 2mod of cars same era owned 5 toyotas liked too know who made thes have no info on maker generaly have switch for guadge also but lots of toyota ex

the 1978 use in tank pump eletic switches change one fuel pump in each tank brass valve comenly used too switch from main to reserve tank i have only seen one other minimax ther is one in webbers auto wrecking in yakima wash see ours on my profile i only have one tank 1977 1976 1978 used eletric pump get haynes truck book 1969 1978 not much computor ex thats what i use 20r moter truck 2mod of cars same era owned 5 toyotas liked too know who made thes have no info on maker generaly have switch for guadge also but lots of toyota ex

So, I need to have toggle on same tank as brass valve?

I know that mine has an Idaho State RV Manufacture tag on it's side. I just picked it up for $612 at auction. Runs good, but roof is water damaged and so far, the furnace won't fire. I'm looking for an air cleaner assembly and wiring diagrams. Should be a great project. I was starting to think I had the only Mini-Max around. LOL

if that is oem furnece have to light pilet light no auto ing on my old timer i am in yakimawash suberan furnece bottom of closett i have gas valveon the right side of theheater metoo i could not belive what i saw on hear or at the yard yes you do as far as i know a friend bought a big gas hog moter home had same set up if you have oem carb any 20 r air cleaner stuf should fit i have two barrel webber pryor owner put on on my heater has little door glass window swing up hold in black button 2 minites use long lighter tell stay lit may have to light cook stove to bleed air first 20 r great had 4 20r 2 battery under hood on the right side rv battery furnes fan run off that left batt starting

Derek up North only pic i got on here on my profile you can look had2 years never heard of anymore 2 weeks ago went to auto yard i am in yakima wash could not belive they had one never seen another till now can find nothing on who made them any where ours is classed 18 feet does not havethe good axle no water heater no sign ever had one only 1 small dump tank no shower 15 gallon water tank have sink use 1 gallon boiler on stove for hot water tolit and heater importent to us do50 60 miles back country with friends white pass wash state antigu convertor still work good we watch weght 80000 org miles also no roof air check out my front door air on alternate air conditor posting

if that is oem furnece have to light pilet light no auto ing on my old timer i am in yakimawash suberan furnece bottom of closett i have gas valveon the right side of theheater metoo i could not belive what i saw on hear or at the yard yes you do as far as i know a friend bought a big gas hog moter home had same set up if you have oem carb any 20 r air cleaner stuf should fit i have two barrel webber pryor owner put on on my heater has little door glass window swing up hold in black button 2 minites use long lighter tell stay lit may have to light cook stove to bleed air first 20 r great had 4 20r 2 battery under hood on the right side rv battery furnes fan run off that left batt starting

My suburban heater "seems" to have auto ignition(I only say this because I hear something clicking(and a "blast" of air out of outside exhaust vent) when I hook it up to 110). It still isn't lighting, so it may be bad. My big concern is that they have done some rewiring that looks odd(cut and spliced into red 12+ line). I'm trying to figure it out.

post-4930-0-80519300-1301447497_thumb.jppost-4930-0-28657200-1301447472_thumb.jppost-4930-0-80519300-1301447497_thumb.jppost-4930-0-28657200-1301447472_thumb.jp

I just bought a 78 Mini-Max and I am trying to figure out fuel storage. Gauge doesn't register anything. Under dash(below gauge) is a 3-place toggle with label stating "Main * Aux fuel". On the floor between seats is a brass valve that has "F" and "R" on the handle(depending which way it's flipped.

I am assuming that the floor valve switches between front and rear tanks. I am assuming that the toggle is a cut off for the tanks(?). While driving, I put toggle in center position. The engine died shortly(20 sec) after.

So...What is the toggle for and what is the floor valve for, and why does my gauge not work???

here is a pic ofpost-4930-0-28657200-1301447472_thumb.jp the brass floor valve and one of the toggle

some togles are center position off both sides on for alt uses i would think you would need another togle to switch betwen two sending unitstoo one dash unit my son had a large pu with 2 tanks only one fuel pump on the moter brass valve switch from front to rear tank one togle switch to switch between two sending units one in each tank i have heard of a few had sending unit only on main tank just ran the one first that has no gauge until out then new how much had other tank check under dash fuses and wires on the tanks

If it set up correctly the switch will be double pole switch one side switches the gauge the other side switches the pumps. The valve on the floor switches the fuel flow so the switch and the valve have to match or it will stop the fuel flow. Have a look at the switch and see if it has 6 wires if it does one side will be for the pumps, the center wire is a power feed the other two go to the pumps. The same holds true for the other wires on the switch they will be the wires for the tank floats. Again the center wire goes the the gauge and the other ones to each tank. Depending on the direction the switch is in is witch tank is activated both for the gauge and the pump.

If it set up correctly the switch will be double pole switch one side switches the gauge the other side switches the pumps. The valve on the floor switches the fuel flow so the switch and the valve have to match or it will stop the fuel flow. Have a look at the switch and see if it has 6 wires if it does one side will be for the pumps, the center wire is a power feed the other two go to the pumps. The same holds true for the other wires on the switch they will be the wires for the tank floats. Again the center wire goes the the gauge and the other ones to each tank. Depending on the direction the switch is in is witch tank is activated both for the gauge and the pump.

I"m still waiting for my title from the auction house. I think that you are right that the toggle must match the brass valve. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to effect the gauge either way. Thanks for the input. Any other thoughts/help is appreciated.

What you can do is find the tank wires at the switch one of those wires go back to the gauge if you ground the wire (a little jumper wire) the gauge should read full (key on). If you are sure you have found the tank wires it will not matter if you ground the wrong one. What I think you will find is 3 wires for the gauge on one side of the switch the center one will return to the gauge if it reads full when you ground the center wire switch your jumper to one of the other terminals and see if it reads full again (you may have to flick the switch the other direction) then try the other terminal and see what happens. And like Derek said your tanks need a good ground for all of this to work. If you get it to work at the switch then you'll have to more on to the tanks.