Great Info. Cool trailers, I use a trailer made to pull behind a mortorcycle, closed is 90 cubic ft. Lets u take along things you would of left behind; like extra chairs, 30# gas tank, screen room. Using the trailer keeps the motor home cleaner and ready to go anytime. Down side is backing up, and the light weight of the trailer (100#) gives your trailered things a bumpy ride causing some unexpedted wear.

• 8 months later...

I'm giving serious thought to building an open 18 foot sailing boat .It's quite light at approximately 500 pound or 230 kg .....which seems to be a problem when I look at commercially built boat trailers .Most 18 foot boats around here are aluminium with a large outboards and are quite heavy ,consequently , so are the trailers for sale .

I'm fairly sure that were I to buy one of these trailers it would not only be overkill but would bounce my (proposed) glued lap boat to shards !

Does anyone know of a good source of plans to build the kind of trailer I'd need .I weld moderately well and am equiped to cut and drill etc, in steel .

Edited by Jervis5

If you are going to build your own trailer, consider using an axle with rubber torsion suspension. They bounce a lot less than steel springs and give your stuff a softer ride. They also make trailer construction extremely easy because they bolt straight onto the frame.

I am considering buying a light weight motorcycle to pull on a homemade trailer. If I could get an '85 Honda Nighthawk (650 cc) I could have a total weight of about 700 lbs. I currently have a Goldwing and the cycle itself is almost 800 lbs.

An old popup camper makes a pretty good trailer I made one into a nice flat bed. They are a bit heavy but many times you can find them free for the taking and they have a torsion suspension.

I have an old pop-up in the back yard that I tore apart. Just the frame and old deck weigh almost 600 pounds. This is the second pop-up that I have torn apart. They are strong but heavy like you said. I have only seen a couple with torsion axles, most have springs and straight axle. My friend tore on apart just for the axle. 3500 lb axle for free. Not bad. I will be building mine out of a Dexter axle (torsion)

Ha I'll bet the old deck alone has 550# water in it ! Wonder why they thought chip board was a good ideal. The last one I did I went right to the frame yes they are heavy but it did have a torsion axle that maybe be a good place to start building a much lighter trailer I like free.

• 2 months later...

what about a torsion 2 place small snowmobile trailer?

That should work they got to be rated 1500# any way, shoot my sled is all most 12' long and 580#

I have a unique steel torsion 2 place short trailer. Weight is 460 lbs; accomodates two 450 lbs each 1994 Yamaha vt480 venture 2 ups.

I wouldnt use it for these though as thats just too much weight. But what I would use it for would be 400 lbs of additional camping gear. This puts the total at 850 lbs, assuming 10$ tongue weight (85 lbs) this should be aok I am thinking and far less tongue weight than a cargo carrier. I'm thinking even Derek would approve of this tow setup... Derek?

All I can say it's not advised Toyota says no towing. The rig is pretty well maxed just hauling the house around I know a lot of people do tow but not me that's what I have a Tacoma for.