I am going on week 4 of not being able to drive my Toy with its new Jasper engine. Spent last 2 days getting a new knock sensor and wiring harness installed as CEL code was "52". Took all day and still am getting same code and mechanics are scratching their heads. Any ideas? I'm frantic :ranting2: .

Wow I would have thought they check that out pretty well before putting it all together it's not exactly easy to get to. Poor connections will cause a 52 code all they have to be is just slightly dirty or loose. The wiring runs under the manifold possible it was damaged during the install. I'll assume they have checked the timing.

yep, checked the timing. yep, they had to go back in again after engine install and replace knock sensor and harness. they really really don't know what the problem is and have called a help hotline. they even tried a different computer.

voltage going to the sensor is .015v

next they are going to try a "shielded" co-axle cable and fashion the ends and by-pass the harness. at least i think i have that right. am spending another night in their parking lot :angry: .....but like i told them "i am not going anywhere until it is fixed".....before i was driving it the 12 miles to my RV park and back when they said they were ready or got the part in or whatever.

I'm not sure if it is a paizo sensor or not. It all ready has a shielded cable so I'm not sure what they are trying to do there. If it's a paizo sensor it makes voltage by vibrations of the knock and the ECU responds by setting the timing back. Many times you can get a knock sensor to respond by tapping on the engine block with a hammer and watching the timing mark to see if it retards the timing I guess what I am saying I wonder if it works? The thing that bothers me it did not have the 52 code until the engine swap so it's some thing that is related to the swap.

Looks like the the coaxle cable did the trick!

Good deal.

Although I think the fix was not the shielding from the coax, but from the proper ground it provided.

You might want to add a braided cable from the engine block to the battery ground, to help in the future.

Good call WME sounds like all the engine grounds need to be checked that little shield won't stand much current it also might explain why the problem started after the swap.