Roof basket?cargo hitch? what do you recommend?

rubinscube

So now I come to the point where I need to think of where to put our geological and fossil dig supplies. I have a few full size shovels, a 42" gold prospecting sluice, two 10gl portable water tanks,and various other supplies.

From previous posts by members, I see that the back is to weak for mounting anything.

I have seen these as a potential: http://www.etrailer.com/Specialty-Trailer-Hitches/Curt/13703.html?feed=pn

But I would like input from other members please.:help:

Some cheap ABS pipe can make a lightweight carrier for your shovels on the back (I see gardeners with ABS tool racks all the time). The shovel handles will slide right in the "tubes" of the ABS. Probably keep the EMPTY water containers on the roof. Sluice can be tied to the ABS rack as well without interfering with the shovel handles.

Other way to go might be to just wrap all the shovels and sluice in a canvas tarp and put it on the roof with the containers.

Whatever you do, don't go spending a bunch of money just to carry some extra gear. That's the best advice I could give to a gold prospector. :)

• 4 weeks later...

So now I come to the point where I need to think of where to put our geological and fossil dig supplies. I have a few full size shovels, a 42" gold prospecting sluice, two 10gl portable water tanks,and various other supplies.

From previous posts by members, I see that the back is to weak for mounting anything.

I have seen these as a potential: http://www.etrailer....03.html?feed=pn

We invested in a large container from Canadian Tire and had a local welder make us a removable hitch. The container - full - weighed in at about 65 lbs. R.V. mat, 2 folding chairs, a 'kitchen tent', an folding aluminum table, leveling boards - for now. Hope it works okay. These units are pretty much the proper weight without anything inside. Definitely something that causes anxiety!

post-4394-0-16591700-1299012134_thumb.jp

post-4394-0-66806800-1299012210_thumb.jp

post-4394-0-75329100-1299012263_thumb.jp

Have you thought about just getting a little trailer with good ground clearance?

weight hanging off the bumper can work well if weights are kept low. As is early comments the mounting point for the bumper itself is about 3' plus in from the rear of the motorhome. If you hang some off the back thats 5' + - from the "actual" mounting point of the bumper, depending on the weight you end up hauling the leverage on your rig could be very great and under extreme scenarios cause you to lose weight over the front tires ( poor steering)

Small Trailer is my suggestion.

Lance

I have seen these as a potential: http://www.etrailer....03.html?feed=pn

I have a receiver on the back of our 90 Sunrader, which I fitted with a cheap ($50) rack and two $15 bins held in place with way over capacity tie-down straps (webbing). It is plenty strong enough for the bulky/lightweight gear we take camping (mats, a small stack of firewood, etc.) but I wouldn't put more than 150 lbs on it and feel comfortable. The rig handles fine with camping gear back there.

andrew