I had this happen to me, and just wanted to pass it along for that rare instance.

I had the center console removed to do work on the cabin radio. I went out to put gas in the truck and noticed I couldn't disable the Over Drive. Regardless of the button position, the OD still worked.

I recalled seeing someone else had this problem (searched the Yahoo web site) and they experienced the exact same thing. They couldn't disengage the OD.

In their troubleshooting, they found the "OD OFF" light bulb was burnt out. Well, I had mine disconnected and the same thing happened to me.

I plugged the OD OFF light back in, went for another test drive, and the OD worked perfectly.

FYI If you experience this same symptom, check to see that the OD OFF light isn't burnt out or disconnected.

JOhn MC

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

shortly after buying my sunrader in early 2007, i discovered i had the same problem. the switch, light and OD solenoid were all working fine. after tearing out what little hair i have left i brought it to a very good tranny shop.

they pulled the valve body and discovered that the last guy in there (an aamco shop in california) put one of the balls in the valve body in the wrong channel.

they did all this for a little over 200 dollars. i won't go anywhere else for tranny work from now on. if anyone in the greater springfield, ma area needs tranny work, i very highly recommend hi tech transmission in east longmeadow, ma.

one other thing. if you need to replace the OD solenoid valve on your A43D tranny, toyota gets way too much money. i found a volvo OD solenoid on ebay, brand new, for around 50 bucks. the 240 series volvos use the same A43D tranny. all you need to do is use the connector off your old part.

• 3 months later...

I have a 86 toyota odyssey 22re, tranny works fine, when at 55 mph, i turn OD on, the off light goes out, but on light does not come on, something wrong or is this normal. I am wondering because I feel no dfferent whether OD is on or off at 55 mph. Or, how is the OD being on suppose to work?

I have a 86 toyota odyssey 22re, tranny works fine, when at 55 mph, i turn OD on, the off light goes out, but on light does not come on, something wrong or is this normal. I am wondering because I feel no dfferent whether OD is on or off at 55 mph. Or, how is the OD being on suppose to work?

You should feel it shift and the rpms decrease when you engage overdrive. Remember, at altitude it won't engage on purpose. Are you up in the hills somewhere? Kim

When the light is on the O/D is off. There is no light to tell you it's on. There are two factors altitude and engine temp that will lock it out but there is no indication that it's locked out other then it does not engage. You should feel it, it slows the engine speed quite a bit at highway speeds.

• 2 weeks later...

In their troubleshooting, they found the "OD OFF" light bulb was burnt out. Well, I had mine disconnected and the same thing happened to me.

I plugged the OD OFF light back in, went for another test drive, and the OD worked perfectly.

JOhn MC

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

If this is true, Toyota really screwed up.

Evidently the bulb completes a circuit in the ECU - i.e. perhaps the bulb pulls the circuit low. Anyway. if the bulb is burnt out or disconnected, you cannot disable the OD with the button.

John Mc

88 Dolphine 4 Auto