Should I buy 91 Oddysey

Bryan

I found a guy with a 91 Oddysey v6 auto 58,000 miles. I have to wait until Sunday to check it out. But from what he says it had leaked in the rear over the bathroom resulting in more damage to the roof causing the plastic( or vinyl whatever the roof is made of) to peel away. The water also got inside at the very least ruining the carpet. The carpet would come out anyway so I'm not worried about that I'm more worried about the frame being rotted away.I think I am capable of fixing the roof, so long as the damage isn't too extensive. I saw on another thread someone was advised to lookunder the seats and poke the framing with an icepick, to make sure the woods not soft, maybe pull carpet back some to check floor underneath, inside the cabinets. Any other things I could look for that might save me thousands and alot of grief would be appreciated. BTW the seller is asking $3000 and I might have some some wiggle room there. Thank You

Well for 3 grand it gives you a lot of room to make repairs a nice 91 might fetch $10,000. I guess the question would be is this some thing you want to take on and how soon do you want to go camping? There is not much of a frame some even had aluminum frame work but there probably is a lot of rotted wood back there including the floor. 58K is not a lot of mileage so there probably is a right nice truck under the coach, the 6 cylinders did have some head gasket issues you might asked if they know if the recall has been done.

I agree with Maineah. I don't know what the framing is for an Oddysey. The rubber roofs are easy to replace but the next layer down is usually Luann plywood. Careful inspection is the key here. You will want to look at the roof area from a ladder close up. The way the walls and roof are constructed is like a sandwich. They build the framing, then put in a foam core then glue paneling on both sides making the sandwich. A wood frame sandwich is or course the worst for water damage. Everything is built on top of the floor platform, so any serious floor rot can be a problem. You can use a straight edge along the floor from the front to back and see if there is any sag in the area in question. Use your eyes as a straight edge also everywhere. If everything is straight that's a good sign. Next would be the pressure test. Put some weight on the areas in question and compare them with known good areas. Our present toy is a Gulfstream Conquest which has aluminum framing in the sandwich. The cab-over had water damage when we bought it. I peeled as much of the interior paneling off and resurfaced it with 1/4 inch Luann then stained that. The fact that it was aluminum framing really made the difference between easy and bad. Even at 3K it could turn into a nightmare. Only careful examination can save you from that. Here are some pics of the repair.

post-1-017959300 1295713723_thumb.jpg

post-1-011649000 1295713738_thumb.jpg

post-1-093429000 1295713882_thumb.jpg

post-1-041253100 1295714709_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry for taking so long to get back, but it's been a long week. I went to look at the odyssey on Wednesday and calling it a total piece of crap would be kind. The guy had about 30-40 different campers in his yard, and every one looked like he got it from a junkyard. The odyssey must have spent the last twenty years at the bottom of the ocean. He tried to tell me that the roof was temporarily fixed as water was dripping on my head. He proceeds to say that "if I'm handy it could be fixed in no time". I said "yes I am handy but I'm not a magician thank you for time but I'm not interested".

Disappointed I make my way home to meet wifey. As I'm telling her of the horror of the camper fields I search craigslist again. I used my usual method of typing Toyota in the RV section of Philadelphia Craigslist, copy & paste it, and check all surrounding cities one by one. When I saw it! 91' Winnebago Warrior $3000. The posting was 3 days old so I figured it must be gone, but I left a message anyhow not expecting a call back. Much to my supprise the owner called back and explained he had a couple guys flake and it was still available. We talked for an hour plus as he described it front to back( not being very computer savy he coudn't send me pictures). I promised I would be there on Saturday with cash so he promised to hold it till then.

I had to drive 2.5 hours to pick it up and the whole ride there I was sick hoping it woudn't be another mess like the other one. When I got there it was exactly as he described no supprises. After a quick test drive I handed the money over and was on my way as a happy new2me Toyota motorhome owner.

I'll take some pics tomorrow. Until then Happy Trails

I love happy endings… :ThumbUp:

Congratulations! I look forward to the pictures!

Got the pics up today. I'm very happy with it. The truck runs great, and the house is solid just needs some cosmetics such as:

1) Rip up the carpet and put down some of that vinyl wood stuff down.

2) Caulk the little screw holes that were made over the years and paint the whole interior.

3) Remove previous owners "custom" table and make new one of proper size.

4) Make new or buy new curtains for windows.

5) Get new mattress for over cab

6) And last but not least I need to figure out how to get that black stuff off the sides of it. The previous owner didn't like the uniform color and sleek decals that Winnebago

provided so they put blue contact paper on it. Most of the contact paper has been removed leaving behind the glue residue. You can still see his handywork on the

front of the cabover. I'm thinking maybe some type of acetone or something (don't want to hurt the fiberglass).

My daughters are fired up now about taking our new "house" on the road.

Its great when the family gets involved, They take ownership.

The Guy I bought mine from had a little girl, may 3 or 4. When I went to pick it up, the little girl was obviously hurt because this was her Toy House, and she took good care of it, she was cleaning her dolls out.

He tells his daughter; "We;re going to buy a new toy house. Mr M has a little girl just like you and we're going to let her have our old Toy House."

The little girl looks at me in big brown eyes, and I can see she's ready to bust out in tears, she says to me; "Mr M, (sniff) I hope your little girl likes her new house"

I darn near started crying myself.....

(Note - My little girls are in their late 30's, but they still like the new Toy House.)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Got the pics up today. I'm very happy with it. The truck runs great, and the house is solid just needs some cosmetics

What you describe sounds like largely cosmetic stuff - find the right cleaner and apply some elbow grease; put in a little handyman time, and you will have improved your investment a great deal! To get a Toy home that age and in good mechanical condition at that price is a steal! It'll be worth putting some improvements in. I hope you enjoy it.

I'd suggest starting with the mildest 'cleaner' you can find and not acetone or lacquer thinner in case it attacks your siding. I've heard that WD40 is effective in removing decals, so it might do the job with your contact paper. And you'll probably end up doing the whole coach so that everything matches.

bah, go get that acetone, a heavy nap rag, some brand new razor blade scrappers and go at it. Not like you're going to restore this thing to a factory gel coat shine. Helps to be in some sunshine too (or try heat gun). After you get all this muck off, you can get some decent grit polishing compound and hit it hard! You'll definitely end up with something decent to enjoy for the next 10 years until the thing completely falls apart.

Interior looks pretty nice, tho what is that lime green on the ceiling and in the front cab area?

@waiter:

Shame on you for making little girls cry like that.