Clearance lights-replacement

jack  sturges

C

Purchased replacement units from walmart; but they only have one wire. How do I wire these or are they just the wrong ones?

And thanks to the regular electrical brains that have already been of great help just by me reading the forum.

Jack

They probably use one of the screw holes as a ground. Look at the light bulb. The base will have two contacts, either a silver dot on the center end and a brass base with pins, or a flat base with two wire contacts. Follow where the contacts connect to, one will run to that single wire and the other will lead to where you need to connect the other wire.

They probably use one of the screw holes as a ground. Look at the light bulb. The base will have two contacts, either a silver dot on the center end and a brass base with pins, or a flat base with two wire contacts. Follow where the contacts connect to, one will run to that single wire and the other will lead to where you need to connect the other wire.

I understand that part; but I don't know what to do with my dual chassis wires which fed the old two wire light. Are the old two wire clearance lights still available?

What ever you bought from Walmart is not right, but can you post a picture of the light showing the connections?? You should have a ground wire and a hot wire on each light. Some of the older lights did not have connection wires, the wires just connected directly to the light by sticking the wire into a hole, a spring tension clip inside the light kept the wire in and made contact. You should really look into the newer LED running lights. Once you have them installed you never have to touch them again.

I understand that part; but I don't know what to do with my dual chassis wires which fed the old two wire light. Are the old two wire clearance lights still available?

Jack, you would wire one of your chassis wires to the one wire on the light, wire the other chassis wire to a circular terminal which you would screw down to the metal contact on the light like a washer.

Thanks to all for your valueble help. I found original Bargman clearance lights at a local RV store.

Our 89 Odyssey is shaping up!

Here is my 2 cents worth regarding the incandescent light bulb type. Every year and sometimes before every trip you will probably have to get up on a ladder and play around with a bulb or two to get them to light up. They are prone to corrosion on the bulb contacts. Its usually after pulling the rig out of mothball that you have to fix them. That said there is a anti corrosion paste that you can apply to the contact areas. It keeps the O2 off the surface and slows corrosion. If you only have to replace a few than maybe that's the best route. But the LED units have come down in price and are affordable. And once you have them installed and sealed you never have to get out the ladder and play with the bulbs.

Never Cease seems to work also in light sockets. I have been using it on battery posts for the last twenty years after I clean the posts to soft bright lead. Here on the coast neversease gets put on just about everything I rebuild, if it has threads on it it gets neverseaze cut with WD 40. The local power company uses dialectric grease by the tub, they threw me a pint when I asked what they were putting on transformer terminals.

Some LED's come with only one wire my body work is fiberglass so I had to have a ground wire all I did was solder an extra wire to the brass grounding ring one less connection to get nasty. LED's are a great upgrade no more fiddling with them ever year to get them to burn only to have them quit when you pull into the state inspection station!