Dog eat dog

diana

And here I thought I was all ready to get the final mechanical check up results on my dream rig and send money to escrow when someone else swept in and got it. And no, I was all over this deal and not, as granny put it, dilly dallying. So now I'm out one Car Fax and a whole lot (!) of phone calls and emails, not to mention disappointed, but at least I'm not out a plane ticket. How can I secure a future negotiation of an out of state purchase long enough to safely and wisely close a deal? (i.e., have it checked by mechanic, etc.) Or is it really just first come, first served?

Put down a non-refundable deposit to hold the vehicle for you for a specified time. This allows the sellor to still show the vehicle to other potential buyers,, but gives you first shot. If you don't take delivery of the vehicle before the specified date, the seller keeps your deposit and calls up the next person on the list.

Then its up to the honesty and integrity of the seller!!!!!

Sorry to hear the news.

I guess the best way to look at it is from the Sellers side. Until the cash is in his hand, there's nothing to stop you from pulling out of the deal for whatever reason. So rather than losing out on selling, they take whoever puts the money in their hand.

The best way I can think of to stop it happening again would be to offer to send (PayPal?) a small deposit for them to hold it. If you can get them to agree to a refundable deposit pending a satisfactory inspection, so much the better. Of course there'd probably be nothing stopping them from selling it anyway and returning your money.

Good luck with the hunt.

What's on you 'dream wish-list'? I'll keep my eyes open. Ideally I'm sure you'd like it to be near a major airport and not too far a drive from your home. Northern California, right?

Diana, Sorry to hear about this, but as Derek said, Look at it from the sellers side also.

I was surprised at how fast these things sold (even junk was selling fast).

I looked for about 3 months before I finally found one.

Before I made any substantial commitment to time or money, (car fax) Make sure you know what the sellers rules are. Before I drive 2 hours to look at a MH. Will the seller take someone else's cash before I get there, or will he wait for me to look at it. If the seller tells me he won't wait, I tell him; "I know how you fell, but I'm not willing to risk a two hour drive each way". Usually, they agree to hold it for a couple hours until I get there. Be Very Specific on your time.. i.e. If I'm not there by 3pm, It means I probably got in a wreck and I don't expect you to hold it past 3pm.

When I flew to New Mexico to look at the MH I bought, The Seller agreed to a $200 non-refundable deposit to hold the MH for two weeks. I PayPal'ed him the money, and bought my airline ticket.

I also made a commitment to myself, that if I wasn't totally satisfied with the MH, I would get a ride back to the airport or rental car, and walk away from my deposit.

Thanks to both of you for solid advice. I do see the seller's side, but still need to get more 'professional' going about this. You helped. Live and learn. Again, thanks. (This is a great board!)

Derek, I need the smallest rig possible that comes with two beds. Don't need or even want a bathroom with a second sink, oven, etc. I've had mid-sized rigs and they are gas guzzlers and hard to drive, park, etc. My RV use is recreational road trips and 'camping', taking one of my grown kids or a friend along, hence the two beds, but luxury is not a priority for me. Simplicity, reliability and good design are. So... I am looking for a Sunrader 18' - a scarce commodity. Lots of 21's out there, but not 18's. Yes, Northern California but I know I will have to travel.

D.

Diana, Sorry to hear about this, but as Derek said, Look at it from the sellers side also.

I was surprised at how fast these things sold (even junk was selling fast).

I looked for about 3 months before I finally found one.

Before I made any substantial commitment to time or money, (car fax) Make sure you know what the sellers rules are. Before I drive 2 hours to look at a MH. Will the seller take someone else's cash before I get there, or will he wait for me to look at it. If the seller tells me he won't wait, I tell him; "I know how you fell, but I'm not willing to risk a two hour drive each way". Usually, they agree to hold it for a couple hours until I get there. Be Very Specific on your time.. i.e. If I'm not there by 3pm, It means I probably got in a wreck and I don't expect you to hold it past 3pm.

When I flew to New Mexico to look at the MH I bought, The Seller agreed to a $200 non-refundable deposit to hold the MH for two weeks. I PayPal'ed him the money, and bought my airline ticket.

I also made a commitment to myself, that if I wasn't totally satisfied with the MH, I would get a ride back to the airport or rental car, and walk away from my deposit.

I think the deposit is the best way to hold something. When I sold my Dolphin, I had so much interest in it and people wanting to fly in from all over. Lots turned out to be flakes/no-shows, so it really does come down to (as a seller) first come with cash, first served.

If you're patient, a Sunrader will show up -- but they get bought even more quickly than the others, it seems. A 21'er is really not all that much bigger, so you may find something else you like as well. In fact, my '21 foot' Dolphin was actually just shy of 20 feet, bumper to bumper.

I remember looking for ours... Being from Vancouver, BC, it was a wee bit challenging... I went through lots of near-buys just to be disappointed buy a local buyer beating me... I had $ ready, just I have to ask questions and ask for pictures... I always felt it was better to lose a good deal than get a bad one.

When the one that I knew I had to have came up in San Diego for lower than I thought it should be I wired a deposit (He did not have paypal) bought a plane ticket all within a day... I have no regrets, but still feel lucky, I could of been scammed easily.

Good luck in your search ! :)

One I was looking at was an 20' Sunrader in Eugene 1983, 45 K miles, Jim 541 510 1017 or Joe 541 870 9469 $5990, it may be gone by now but looked to be in excellent shape, it was at the RV Corral and had an awning refer oven and 20R engine

I wonder too about settling on a 21'er since they are so easy to find, but still hoping for that shorty 18' rig. I need to drive both. I would not quibble over 18' vs 19.9'. Thanks for that tip.

I think the deposit is the best way to hold something. When I sold my Dolphin, I had so much interest in it and people wanting to fly in from all over. Lots turned out to be flakes/no-shows, so it really does come down to (as a seller) first come with cash, first served.

If you're patient, a Sunrader will show up -- but they get bought even more quickly than the others, it seems. A 21'er is really not all that much bigger, so you may find something else you like as well. In fact, my '21 foot' Dolphin was actually just shy of 20 feet, bumper to bumper.

Diana: Re: the vehicle posted in Derek's note.

http://portland.crai...2154447052.html

I talked to the seller when he first listed this Sunrader, right after Thanksgiving or first of Dec. At that time, he did not include the information in his post that this rig had a 5-lug axel. But he did say it had a 5-lug when asked and argued that it had gone 100,000+ with no problems so therefore it was not a problem. Posts on this forum make it very clear that driving a 5-lug axel means you are driving on borrowed time. I think it is worth looking at---the floor plan is great---but you will need to plan to spend $ to fix the axel. I do not remember if he said there are any leaks. He may be more open to an offer than he was back then. I have a pop top Bandit and compared to a bigger motorhome, like a 21 Sunrader, the Bandit and probably Chinook drives and corners like a truck--with none of the top-heaviness of other motorhomes. With your description of how you use it, you might want to consider a Toy Chinook---not that they are any more available than the Sunrader, but it gives you an additional option. It might be tight for sleeping two separate adults. (A bonus is that the pop tops can be stored in a garage.)

Sue

Edited by TacomaSue

6K for that sunrader listed on CL is absurd I think. Ideally, a sprinter van would really suite your needs, but is a bit expensive. European camper vans aren't available here in the states, but that fits your ideal camper far more than any rv you'll find on a toyota chasis.

I personally wouldn't recommend a chinook to anyone other than a car enthusiast and/or surf bum as they are beyond their years in terms of modern drivetrains yet alone the outdated interiors/shell design. They would need heavy modification to bring up to snuff to today's standards.

Thanks TacomaSue for confirming that I'd seen it before. Nice to know that I don't forget everything. Just birthdays and anniversaries. Ask my Ex.

I must admit, I kind of fancy a Bandit. Are you liking yours? I don't think it would suit Diana though, since she's looking for 2 separate beds. And they certainly aren't easy to find.

I agree with Derek and Bajadulce that two adults probably would need to be close friends to sleep in the Bandit. However, the Bandit does have two sleeping spaces--one over the cab in the poptop and one in a converted dinning area. I also agree with Bajadulce that it is a vintage vehicle that presents many challenges. I have traveled in a Sunrader and I was looking for a 18' Sunrader when the Bandit came on the market. After a walk-through and test drive, I was smitten. It is a good vehicle for me..... (I am a kayaker-- a step away from surf bum). The Bandit is small (I'm at the other end of the height lineup from you, Derek--I can stand up when the top is down), simple to operate, limited amenities to fuss with, easy to drive, handles well, can park in a regular parking spot and store in a garage. So, having extolled some of the virtues that attracted me, I have to admit that I have only driven it home, around the block a few times and taken it to a mechanic. I'll let you know how I feel about this rig after a road trip or two. Right now, I am really excited about the Bandit and looking forward to making some minor, but necessary coach repairs and adjustments. Sue

Ah the Bandit. I think I've read a couple of your posts describing it as well as a few pictures you've posted? The kayaking definitely rings a bell. It is sort of a modern chinook (usually on a 4x4 drivetrain?). Ya those are nice and look quite maneuverable. Something like that would work for Diana sounds like. Tho I think a modern camper van (non-4x4) would probably ideal for her. Good wind resistance, modern drive train and suspension, 25+ mpg etc. Big price tag tho.

DSC0004.jpg

No, the Bandit wasn't built on the 4x4. I think the only 4x4s I've seen are transplants.

Here's a 2wd Bandit for sale, even though it's being called a Chinook and has decals saying so:-

http://www.rvtraderonline.com/find/listing/1984-Chinook-Rv-97872978

25mpg? I think the only van that might offer that would be something based on the Sprinter, and I think those are $100k (new).

Sue, if you're looking for a way to carry your kayak(s) on the roof, you can see a rack system (probably home-made0 on a Chinook that would work on a Bandit. Last 2 pictures, after the Sunrader 4x4 pictures.

http://gottheshot.smugmug.com/Automobiles/Dons-Portland-4x4-Sunrader/15379277_sUB4n#1150859505_3Pmwp

Hello folks,

I recently joined the site.

I too am facing a similar situation as Diana. I have been trolling this site for about 3 months now gathering all info i could on these lil toyhomes. Stalking craigslist, ebay and any other links i could find to direct me to toyota's for sale. I hope to find one by February. These just seem to be the best bang for the buck when it comes to comparing fuel cost etc. I noticed that some of you have found ones that i haven't seen listed especially Derek. Thanks in advance for all your shared research and knowledge.

I seem to spend way too much time on the net. Especially living where the climate isn't too conducive to using a Toyota motorhome for any purpose other than being the inside of a snowdrift.

So what's on your 'wish list' Hip? I'll see what I can turn up for you. And what tools are you using to search the CL sites?

100K? ouch. I knew they were prob expensive, but had no idea. My neighbor who is an electrician has a sprinter van (has a mercedes emblem on the front btw? thought it was a dodge?). I don't think he paid more than 30k for it, but it isn't a camper. Man, with all the baby boomers hittin retirement age, I'd think that compact RV's would be making a killing. Baby boomers seem more apt to want freedom vs. comfort, at least that's my impression of that generation. Mini motorhomes would probably be a damn good business to get into.

Ah thnx for link to that bandit. Nice one too. The bandits I've seen must have been 4x4 conversions. Ya nice! Tho the 18' sunrader is pretty compact as well. They don't seem to utilize the interior space very effectively, and seem a bit poorly laid out, but are pretty nice Rv's. Now and then I'll check Craig's list for fun, but most of the raders that pop up are usually 21 footers? The 18' seems definitely harder to find.

Mercedes owns a chunk of Chrysler. The Sprinter is built by Mercedes and sold also badged as a Dodge. I also seem them sold badged as Freightliners too. Maybe only in Canada, I'm not sure.

Sunraders seem to come in waves. Sometimes most seem to be 18', at other times most are 21'. I remember about a year ago, every second Toyota motorhome seemed to have a pink interior. Haven't noticed a 'pinkie' for a while, thank God!

Here's Winnebago's version of the Sprinter. MSRPs all North of $100k.

http://www.wholesalervclub.com/winnebago-view?gclid=COmy1864uKYCFdLLKgodLAe4GA

Wish list..lol. I will keep this one clean:hyper: after learning more about the axle problems i definitely want to stay away from that problem. I will be hauling my harley on a small 5X8 trailer..one thing i cannt seem to part with. Not particular on looks just functionality. Decent runner with everything working. I like older as i consider those to have more character and they seem to be more afordable. My price range is in the 4K range. Kinda like the Chinhook but the one i found recently on ebay located in New London Wisconsin seems just a tad bit rough. Being single " Divorced" and open minded really leaves my options open.

I have used this Yakatz and got a few results but any CL search options you know of bring em' on.

Peace

I seem to spend way too much time on the net. Especially living where the climate isn't too conducive to using a Toyota motorhome for any purpose other than being the inside of a snowdrift.

So what's on your 'wish list' Hip? I'll see what I can turn up for you. And what tools are you using to search the CL sites?

Well, there used to be www.craiglook.com but Craigslist shut them down. I just came across http://www.craigz.com but it limits you to 300 miles. There's 'crazedlist', 'searchtempest' and others. Google 'search craigslist multiple sites' and you'll find lots.

Or 'Cut & Paste' this into a Google search and enter whatever you like in the quotation marks.

site:craigslist.org "sunrader"

What area are you in? Mid West?

In Austin Texas until lift off....found a decent looking chinook out in LA just a few minutes ago. Really liking those lil guys. Just need to find the right one at the right price. I will give those search options a try. I agree with CL search. I used to be able to search all of CL with one stroke now we have to jump through so many sites....:ranting2:

LOL.. unique might i add, but where are the wheels;). Like those chinoooks but after doing a lil more research i realized they were not equipped with a bathroom. Need that fully self contained ride. This has turned into a rather interesting journey and i haven't even hit the road yet

And Peace on you, too!

Hey, you said you liked the old and unusual. This would be right up your alley!

http://bellingham.cr...2130110972.html