Onan 3.0 AJ Genset not cranking

Viking66

Hi all!!

I have been going over my Toyhome and I have go to the Genset. I have a good battery connected to the Genset, and I hear clicking at the solenoid. Other than that....Nothing.

Is there anyway a guy can turn the generator over by hand, and not take it out completely? The muffler on mine is welded, and looks like it may be a real pain to get it off so I can remove the rest. I was thinking if I can get it to turn, I could at least get it started. I have no idea when the things was run last.

I did a search, but did not see anything covering this type thing.

Thanks in advance!!

After reading a bunch on Gensets I found out that they are supposed to turn over easy. I figured mine may be locked up somehow, so I pulled the plug, squirted some lube in and let it sit over night.

i went back out this morning and found a hole near the cooling fan that I could fit a screw driver into and turn the fan. It was a bit stiff at first, but I finally got it moving!!!!

I pressed the starter button, and it moved, then stopped. I worked the fan a few more times, and some more lube in the hole, now it spins nicely. I will see about getting it started after an appointment I have today!!!

Finally some success on this Genset ;-)

Could be any number of things. The fact that it started and ran until you let go of the start switch makes me wonder if your switch is giving power to the ignition in the on position or only in the start position ? If the gas is stale it might be clogging some carburator jets, but then it probable would not start in the first place. Did you squirt some oil in the spark plug hole to lossen the top end? In order to run it must have spark to the plug, gas to the cylinder, compression & timing. Process of elimination. What is the brand of genset?

I received all the manuals for the Genset. Reading up on the issue, it looks like it may be either an Oil Pressure Sensor, or a Relay not working that lets the motor stay running once it gets to speed.

I also cut a hole in the top of the gen box so I would have access to everything a lot easier. I have a plan for securing the top back on and to seal the cut. I was dreading removing the Genset to get the Oil Pressure Sensor.

I will post some pics of my Mod if anyone wants me to.