What tool kit do you carry?

dogre

I'm headed out for a two + month road trip. Last year I carried about 80 lbs. of tools. I'm trying to go on a tool diet this year. I need to pare down.

What do you consider the most important tools to carry?

Thanks for your consideration.

Dave

I'm headed out for a two + month road trip. Last year I carried about 80 lbs. of tools. I'm trying to go on a tool diet this year. I need to pare down.

What do you consider the most important tools to carry?

Thanks for your consideration.

Dave

Hi Dave - Here is how I figure that Murphy's law will work in this situation: The tools you leave behind are the very ones you will need the next time you break down!

80 Lbs of tools doesn't sound too bad to me, probably because that is about what I carry.

Bill

Bill,

'Murphy' is usually right but I still want to go on a tool weight loss program. Unfortunately the only suggestions I've received have actually added weight.

Have you (or any others reading this) ever purchased some of those "as seen on TV" tools that actually work and reduce your need for many wrenches, pliers, etc.? How about some of the new neat Craftsmen tools from Sears?

Dave

I think my option to carry what you know how to use (or want to use at the side of the road) 'might' reduce weight. You can be the judge of that.

The only 'As Seen on TV' tool I've tried with any success is the Gator Grip Universal Socket.

http://www.endeavorp...Gator_Grip.html

http://www.epinions....nt_417554665092

http://cgi.ebay.com/GATOR-GRIP-UNIVERSAL-SOCKET-BRAND-NEW-/170584185913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b79c1c39

I'm not saying I wouldn't carry a socket set with me, but ...

To me the biggest 'pro' is the ability to undo fasteners that have been massacred (oil pan drain?) in the past.

Biggest con? About the same size/length as a spark plug wrench, so might not work easily in tight quarters.

In my youth, I owned a few VW campers that would take on surf trips in baja. These things were always breaking down and I'd tote an entire mechanic shop with me. And whatever I brought was never enough! Such as the time the rear engine mounts snapped going over an unexpected ditch at 30 miles an hour. The rear of the engine slamming into the pavement shattered the case spilling oil all over the place. Stuck in the hills above Loreto, the next town was 100 miles away. No tool in my bag gonna save me from this one except for the tow strap.

Now, I travel much lighter with toyotas! :). For a motorhome, I'd say the most important tool would be a good heavy duty jack and the tools to get wheels off. (espec if you are going to be on remote backroads). A floor jack would seem the ultimate, but a good super heavy duty bottle jack more feasible. Beyond that, some basic tools so you can replace belts and or do some "home" repairs to your coaches plumbing/electrical would be a big help. i.e. multitester, wirestrippers etc. EFI cars are pretty much bullet proof and taking along tools to rebuild top ends or overhaul transmissions seems a bit much. 15-20 #'s of tools should cover almost any roadside repair.

I usually travel with my bike (Honda XR250) so I carry stuff for it as well. I have a milk crate full of spare tubes, chain lube, WD40, tire irons, wiring terminals, wire solder, solder iron, GoJO hand soap, spare cables, roll of plastic baling twine, tarp, oil. Some of that does double duty for the truck. Then I have my Toyota manual (from Toyota), a socket set, end wrench set (metric and English) Screw drivers, jack, lug wrench, headband LED light, Jumper battery pack, can of tire inflator, used belts and hoses. And the bike has a tool set and spare tube and tire iron set plus a mountain bike pump tire inflator, plus spark plug, carb jets, spare nuts and bolts, zip ties. My bike backpack carries food water survival blanket and raincoat, maps, swiss arm knife, and a fold up saw, rubber gloves.

What I try to do is do all of my at home mechanicing right out of my truck and motorcycle tool packs, then I see if I either never use a tool or am missing a tool I adjust my tool pack. It all weighs a bunch but I am often way out in the middle of nowhere by myself and having all that stuff and the knowledge to use it makes for a more enjoyable ride.

Lowes big box (a east coast store) has some nice kits that go on sale quite often nice plastic cases I would get a ratchet kit (metric), screw drivers, 12 volt test light and a metric combination wrench set all for less then $60 and under 10# I would not buy them if I was going to make a living with them but they are great for the little fixes you might have to do on the road.

i also travel both in the motor home & on a motorcycle and have found that a good on the road tool kit can be fairly simple...but you never know what to expect while traveling..that said the sugestion to do home repairs with the same tools you'll take on the road is a good one. you'll see what you don't have that you need and what you may be packing that's just tool "bling" for extensive roadtripping in the motorhome i would bring my regular tool box...it weighs 80LBS...but that is weight i can afford...X

Full metric set of sockets shallow and deep, extensions, wrenches open and boxed, several duplicate wrenches in various lengths, large and small screwdrivers, tire gauge, tire stem valves, locking pliers, needle nose, channel locks, stiff putty knife for scraping etc, wire strippers, multi tester, soldering iron and solder, wire nuts, shrink tubing, gasket seal, medium pipe wrench, torque wrench, breaker bar, utility knife, something to lye down on when you have to crawl underneath, waterless hand cleaner, some sort of 12 volt lighting to work with, a chilton manual. I actually have more than all that. Mostly it all fits in a ammo case.One tool that I find very useful and probably use it on every trip is a wine opener LOL. Actually its one of those multi screwdrivers, keep it in the drawer for easy access. 3 ton hydraulic jack (toyota screw jacks are not acceptable and are unsafe.

If my water pump decides to start spewing water all over the place I want to be able to swap it out if I am in a situation where I can.

• 4 weeks later...

My traveling tools are:

1) 36 inch breaker bar and a 23mm socket for tires

2) small socket set (6 inch by 12 inches)

3) universal screw driver (has 6 different bits)

4) pilers

5) mini hack saw

6) adjustable wrench

7) duct and electrical tape

8) work gloves

There are special tools that are not in a kit. The one that's most important is the two wrenches to get it the fan belt that comes off the power steering pump.

I just discovered yesterday that my lug nut wrench does not fit the rear duals, in fact the guy at the tire store said he was not quite sure what size they were as nothing fit just right & he went on to say that he had not seen left hand threads in a long while...

Have to admit, after reading everyone's replies......... kind's scares the oooo out of me!!

I consider myself handy enuff to get by - but I need a little more peace of mind than I'm getting from my fellow Toyota campers!

I carry a small tool kit and now I see it should be larger. Do I also need to join -AAA- or -Good Sam-some other resue source??

I know that good maintenance will keep the devil behind me, however, DO NOT write this doomsday stuff without merit :umm: .

thanks,

C.C.

Have to admit, after reading everyone's replies......... kind's scares the oooo out of me!!

I consider myself handy enuff to get by - but I need a little more peace of mind than I'm getting from my fellow Toyota campers!

I carry a small tool kit and now I see it should be larger. Do I also need to join -AAA- or -Good Sam-some other resue source??

I know that good maintenance will keep the devil behind me, however, DO NOT write this doomsday stuff without merit :umm: .

thanks,

C.C.

Hey, I travel with a good flashlight, an old Old Timer pocket knife, a cheap multi-tool and a $1.99 4-in-1 screwdriver. Of course, I also try not to get anywhere that I will not see another rig in a few hours...

Don't get too paranoid - some folks want to be able to change out the tranny by themselves on the road; the rest of us still manage to get by just fine.

Just a good sized roll of duct tape,AAA card and a nice shiney credit card! Just joking of course,i dont know what ill carry yet, on my way to pick up my new to me 86 Toyota Mini Cruiser in S.C. and drive it back to Fl.

Leaving home to go get it Monday,havnt seen it yet,son in law says its good and i trust his judgment but i will have the tool kit i carry in my MB wagon, i would guess 25-30 pounds. Don