Hello Everyone!

I have just bought a 1986 Dolphin with an auto trans (I got the 6 lug rear...... but 5 up front). I have had a few 22re powered trucks before (never a MH) and I am already thinking about swapping out the auto. Has anyone ran a MH with the R151F 5 speed trans?

I have been reading many posts, and I thank you for all the help already you have gave me in learning more about toyRV's

Thanks

The 151f is a good choice, it has the deep first gear needed to get our little overweight Toys moving with out eating a clutch.

I'm not sure of what came stock in a M/H but there have been reported problems with overloaded 5th gear bearings in some Toy M/H.

Has anyone ran a MH with the R151F 5 speed trans?

I run the R151F tranny in my Chinook, but unless you have 4wd or just want to haul the transfer case along for extra weight then its not gonna work for you, the 151F was only used in the 4x4 turbo trucks.

Any better (and easier to find) alternative source you can suggest?

The R151F is a great trans, as WME noted it has a lower first gear which is great for heavier rigs, its also quite heavy duty compared to the standard 5spd used behind the 4cyl engines, but it was only used in the 4wd so has the married transfer case attached. They can be hard to find, and spendy when they are found.

The W56 5spd was used in the 4cyl. 2wd trucks, mid 80's and up, its a good trans, all aluminum, and has a lower 1st gear than the ones used in the cars, and is fairly easy and reasonable to obtain.

If your looking for something beefy then a R150 trans froms a V6 2wd could possibly be used, its internally as stout as the 151 but doesn't have the 4.30 1st gear, it would also need the bellhousing swapped to a 151 bellhousing so it could bolt to a 4cyl, but the bellhousings run around 400 bucks new, finding a used one is hard to do.

• 3 months later...

i have a 1988 22re 4 cl 4wd that has a w56 5 speed this is a pu toyota factury book lists about 6 tranies i had 22r carb pu 4wd 1987 had g 52 5 speed the trans fer case lever was in front of the main shift opsite of the w56 set up the gear ratio different also lot of 8os pu where i am never saw another G52 book shws a 4 speed probely hard to find i am pretty shure only the bell housing is aluminum the gear box cast irion