How about installing an awning?

meteor

post-4432-050748900 1289003628_thumb.jpgO.K., I'm back. Thank you for the mattress suggestions. My husband and I want to install an awning ourselves. We're very handy, and have installed one over the hot tub. Took us 6.5 hours, but turned out fine. So, can we do this on our 86 22 footer...without ending up in divorce court? Have any of you done this. Are there any hints you can give us? We would also appreciate suggestions about brands.

Might as well tell you, the next question will be about a generator. Tight space, but it's on the burner for next summer. We would like to run the AC without plugging in to an RV park. This renovating an antique is addicting and expensive for poor, retired schoolteachers. Thanks all!!!

Edited by meteor

Check to see if your Toy already has a channel or track for mounting the awning. Look at the molding where the side meets the roof. If its the same full length on both sides of the coach you don't have it, but if the side with the door has a different shape from the rear forward to roughly the rear of the cab, you are in luck.

We bought a 10'X10' easyup for $80 it fits on the floor in a bag that's about 8"X8". May not be as handy but it works great and no holes in the MH.

• 2 weeks later...

We bought a 10'X10' easyup for $80 it fits on the floor in a bag that's about 8"X8". May not be as handy but it works great and no holes in the MH.

Hi Maineah,

Any info on this, what brand, where can I get one?

Mine came from WalMart but the big box hardware stores have them also. Easyup is a brand name and for the life of me I can't remember what the Walmart one is called. I tie mine to the MH and use the screw in dog tie outs on the other end have not had a problem with wind yet. They are a little heavy but I'll bet the ones on the side of the motor home are as heavy or more so.

• 1 month later...

I like Maineah's portable suggestion and you can use it other places as well, but you prob want a permanent factory roll-up one. Never owned one, but they look luxurious and a snap to use! :)

For poor sods like myself, always a bit of a struggle to come up w/ new shade.

One awning that works really well (and cheap!) is a roll of bamboo fencing! :) Kinda ghetto, and most will probably laugh (its also a bit heavy and not rainproof btw), but the wind won't blow it away nor keep you up at night flappin around. Sticks and poles of course to be gathered while on the journey! Helps to have permanently secured eyebolts/tabs at strategic locations glassed to your rig.

not the best example, but all I have on file:

bikes.png

Or the UV-Protective Black Mesh makes for good shade too while still allowing air circulation etc.

Again, not the best picture, but works well :)

boots_meghee000.jpg

I am looking at a bag awning... Anybody know if they are any good?

http://www.interwestsports.com/bag%20awnings.html

Andrew.

shademakerbagawningphoto.jpg

I had thought about one of them too but I think it would be hard to reach in order to get it high enough in the front and there is no way if it was over the door. Pretty much all the popups have them they get some wild in the wind (had a popup with one) Even with the popup you usually deployed it before lifting the popup.