I had mine done. I think it was around 400 - 500. Did it a year ago combined with new front brake calipers rotors and pads. Can't remember the itemized costs. The new shims are pricey but its mostly labor. I looked at the engine and said NO-WAY, i'll let the expert do it.

I had mine done. I think it was around 400 - 500. Did it a year ago combined with new front brake calipers rotors and pads. Can't remember the itemized costs. The new shims are pricey but its mostly labor. I looked at the engine and said NO-WAY, i'll let the expert do it.

That's exactly what I thought "no way"....thanks for the info

• 4 weeks later...

It says here in the fine print they should never need to be adjusted the valve and cam followers ware at the same rate so it's a wash. In real life that may not be true but there is no set mileage. If they are off for head gaskets that would be a good time to adjust them. A tight valve is far worse then one with too much clearance so a little noise is OK. If you are experiencing a loss of power a compression check will confirm the possibility of a tight valve so if one cylinder is a good bit less then the others it’s a good bet you may have a tight valve. This is a very labor intensive job so expect to spend a pocket full of money.