Toilet Troubles

Hi,

Have a 1985 Dolphin and noticing a puddle of fresh (at least I have that going for me) water forming around the base of my toilet when the fresh water tank is 70 - 100% full. Can't seem to find the direct source of the leak.

Something to check before needing to remove the whole toilet?

If I do remove the toilet, any tips on getting it off and back on without causing further issues.

Thanks.

TO

Might look at the hot water heater too mine is under the closet floor and it made the floor wet near the toilet when it decided to leak I guess you could check outside and see where it is.

My guess is your fresh water tank is in the bottom of the closet and is leaking from one of the sensor ports. If it leaks when not moving it will leak at even lower levels when moving. Anyhow the tank won't be far from the filler on the outside.

Thanks for the replies. The fresh water filler hole is about as far away from the toilet as you can get (opposite side front as opposed to the toilet being in the rear (pardon the pun). Tank is right near the filler as you mentioned.

The water heater is a bit closer, same side, but directly behind the driver's seat and all is dry.

I'm wondering if it's just a loose fresh water hose fitting connecting to the inside of the toilet bowl? Hate to take it apart on a wild goose chase.

Anyone happen to have toilet schematics for ones that National RV put in 1985 Dolphins?

• 1 year later...

I seem to have the same problem as OP in a 1993 Dolphin. Mystery puddle right in front of the toilet mostly by flush pedal (rear bathroom) after the water has been run in the kitchen sink (driver's side just past the couch). Any ideas?

I also seem to have a fritzing out coach battery. Could this affect the Atwood water heater? Anyone have a suggestion on a good new deep cycle battery? I have already discovered that I need a new deep cycle charger as my standard charger doesn't have the proper settings.

Thanks in advance!

Casey

I would strongly suggest a GOOD QUALITY battery converter with a modern control system. I picked up a Progressive Dynamics 9245 Intell-ipower real cheap a while back. It was easy to install with just 2 wires to cut and reconnect.

• 2 weeks later...

the water valves on those tolits will leak from old age or not being blown out or filled with antifreze replaced one on my other toy house and my 87 dolphion has same thetford not bad to replace at all was a hand lever type bought a kit all parts needed take up and overhall put down rv store said that is a very common problem

Quite a few have the water heater close to the toilet and it is not uncommon for the tanks to leak so before you attack the toilet be sure it's not the water heater.

I have not been here long, and there's a site I have gone to for answers to many of my concerns. I don't know if it has been posted here anywhere, and if it has, props to those before me that have, and if not, here ya go. Good luck, and Peace!

http://www.allthingsrv.com/rv/info/index.html

VERY GOOD ADVICE ANY WATER HEATER MAY LEAK IN TIME I HAVE KNOWN PEOPLE WHO HAD THEM LEAK IN THERE RV I HAVE REPLACED SEVERAL IN HOUSES MY OWN INCLUDED AND CHECK THE SERVICE PIPES TO IT ALSO. IF YOU HAVE A WATER HEATER BY PASS KIT DRAIN THE TANK AND BYPASS THE HEATER AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS JUST A THOUGHT