Refrigerator operation

mikie

My fridge is a Dometic RM2401. My question is 1. How long does it take to chill the fridge from a propane start? 2. Should the fire box (on the back of the fridge) be too hot to touch? I can't see the pilot through the reflector, however I can hear the flame ignite the burner.

I have never started with gas, usally starting 2 days ahead pluged in to 110 v, loading as much as possible 1 day ahead, switching to gas to hit the road. I did have trouble keeping cool on gas, but added a solar powered fan in the fridge chase (about one foot below the roof line) The system now functions great. And yes the system does get hot, or uncofortable to touch.

OK that sounds right. I started the propane 2 days ago and after 24 hours it froze an ice tray. Starting with house AC before leaving is the best solution. My owners manual doesn't explain much about such things. Thanks for your response.

• 3 weeks later...

Google rv refrigerators and there are several sites with in depth explanations and diagrams. I freeze a few water bottles ahead of time in the home freezer. I usually start up on gas a day or so ahead. Its important that it not be empty as all your cooling is air. You need thermomass in there. Try chilling all your soft drinks ahead of time and putting them in at startup. Your actually cooling the contents in the refer (thermomass). When you open the door if there is nothing inside the cold air rushes out and warm air in. Basically a start over. Also consider buying a thermometer that can be read from the outside so you don't have to keep opening the door.

The freezer tray is the cooling mechanism and thermomass is what gets cooled. Another neat item is a battery powered distribution fan. They sit in the bottom of the refer and blow cold air up. They really help out allot.

One more important item in case you don't know or no one has told you. The refer needs to be as close to level as possible. The front to back of the vehicle is more important than passenger to driver. Some say within 1/2 bubble but I feel its 1/4 bubble to be safe. Running to long unlevel will destroy the cooling system. They are non-repairable. Level first using the freezer tray then find a matching level spot in the rv somewhere so that you don't have to open the door to check levelness.

A note about using electric. The electric side uses a heating element which inserts into a tube on the side of the heating chamber. That tube over a few years can get rusty inside and reduce the heat transfer capabilities. Besides that electric will never be as efficient as gas just because of the way the heat is transferred. Gas heats the tubing directly where as electric is indirect.

Here are two images showing the electric elements

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=1211

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=1212

• 2 years later...

Mikie this is off topic, but I just got an 86 Sunradar with no manual. I will pay for the copying and mailing if I could get you to do that for me.

Write me back at redbeard_olson@yahoo.com thanks, Redbeard

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new 2401 - it cools in 3 hours. the electric element is in the stack just above the burner. With propane on that cover should get very hot - you will not be able to keep your skin on it. Remove one small screw to remove the cover & you can see the flame. Some times soot builds up - wipe it off.

Very important - while stationary level your fridge! I use some cheap stick on level floats (wally;s world - &5 for 2) actually have 2 sets - one on the fridge cabinet & one at the driver;s seat. If stationary for more then 15 minutes and unable to level I shut the fridge off. Operating a frig non level while stationary will lead to the dreaded ammonia smell & a new frig. They also do not work very well when too far off level. An older frig that has been used un leveled can sometimes not work so good - the "refrigerant' which is ammonia & hydrogen is rather corrosive.

If you do not have any levels use the "if you can tell the camper is not level" test.

the 2401 has a sight window inside but it is hard to see in the daylight - you have to close the blinds AND cover the outside louvers to see it in daytime. Or use the touch test on the burner chamber.

starting the night prior is nice. However if your food is cold you can just light it and go (assuming you do not need the icebox right away)

PPL still has some new 2401's...