91 warrior front leak

Hello all. I have wanted to purchase a small Toyota MH for me and my family but know little about them and thought I would ask the pros. I have come across a 91 Winnebago Warrior V6 with 53,000 miles. It needs cleaned up and I need to check all the sysytems to make sure they are working. It belongs to an 82 year old gal who bought it new with her huband almost 20 years ago. She has used it by herself and still traveled in it solo until this last year. She kept it in winter storage, but it is outside in in the summer. She told me right away that the front window may have been leaking but she is not sure. When I looked inside, the front cloth blind that is inside the window did have water marks on it, so there is something going on here. I see no signs of delamination or any other signs that there is water there, but that blind obviously got wet somewhere. Is this a common place for these to leak? It has the 1 piece front window. Could I reseal this with caulking or would it be better to have the window removed and resealed? Is this expensive. She is asking what I think is a very fair price for a 1 owner that runs good and to have low miles, but I hate to get into a headache with water. But I do realize we are not talking about a new $60,000 dollar unit but a 20 year old vehicle so I need to expect some maintenance. Thought I would ask some folks who know. Thanks

Howdy Red

Be sure to feel around all the windows and walls for any bubbles or soft spots. Also pull out the overhead cushions and check the deck for water damage. Its also a good idea to check the entire floor for soft spots and warpage.

The front window is easy to pop out and replace the butyl tape, but the additional repair work can be a real pain.

I bought a 91 Sea Breeze last winter and thought it needed a little wallpaper repair. It turned out to be a 2 month long project to replace a bunch of delaminated interior luan plywood and all the other consequential damage. Most of it caused by bogus CB antenna installation.

Good luck on your purchase

Seabreezer

If everything feels solid and looks solid and the wall paper on the walls is not coming loose there is a good chance that its OK. Its really long term leaks that are a problem. The curtains could have been pressed against the windows by cargo and the windows do sweat sometimes. Just a thought there. If there is a leak it may not be at the window. Its possible to leak in the roof area and travel down with the window being the exit point.

Howdy Red

Be sure to feel around all the windows and walls for any bubbles or soft spots. Also pull out the overhead cushions and check the deck for water damage. Its also a good idea to check the entire floor for soft spots and warpage.

The front window is easy to pop out and replace the butyl tape, but the additional repair work can be a real pain.

I bought a 91 Sea Breeze last winter and thought it needed a little wallpaper repair. It turned out to be a 2 month long project to replace a bunch of delaminated interior luan plywood and all the other consequential damage. Most of it caused by bogus CB antenna installation.

Good luck on your purchase

Seabreezer

If everything feels solid and looks solid and the wall paper on the walls is not coming loose there is a good chance that its OK. Its really long term leaks that are a problem. The curtains could have been pressed against the windows by cargo and the windows do sweat sometimes. Just a thought there. If there is a leak it may not be at the window. Its possible to leak in the roof area and travel down with the window being the exit point.

Thanks for the advice. This one has what appears to be an aluminum roof. Are they more, less, or just as likely as another other material to leak

The aluminum roofs are known to experience pinhole leaks from corrosion that's a possibility but unlikely. Look for any seams on the roof such as right in the front before the roof bends down over the cabover window area. Also the side seams where the roof meets the walls.

Windows do leak where the meet the siding, the top edges and sides.

Thought I would ask some folks who know. Thanks

been there - done that. Remove the screws - push out the window (I layed on my back i pushed with my feet & also pried from the outside - carefully).  The butyl comes in a roll ($10) and after cleaning up both surfaces - just roll it out and stick the window back in. Clamp it down & trim the seal with a plastic knife. Then put a bead of 100% clear silicone caulk around the window. I would also do the silicone on the top of all the other windows.

I think the window can leak between the glass & the metal frame also.

The seams on the top of the camper should be done with flow-seal (C10, I think). It is a lap sealant. No silicone on top. If you see any exposed or peeling seals you want that done too. The whole top will take about 6-10 tubes.

That camper has a metal frame - however the over cab is mostly wood on the bottom 1/2

I have photos of when I did it but could not get them to load here.

• 3 months later...