SR5 Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel Upgrade

Bunneys

I was driving later one evening and was surprised how sore my hand felt after while, I remembered that my 92 4Runner had the same steering wheel, but it was wrapped in soft cushy leather…

A quick internet search found me a cheep SR5 4Runner being parted out, turns out to be a internet buddy I have bought parts from before so this item that nobody usually wants was free for me! Thanks Fishing Clown! (BC4x4.com) :)

Wow what a difference… It’s very easy to change and well worth it in my opinion.

100_9764.jpg

100_9775.jpg

Looks very nice. Something I'd like to do myself.

Were you not tempted to swap instruments, too?

Is there a center console that could be stolen from a 4Runner that would fit? I imagine so.

Switching topics a bit, but is it just me, or is the tranny shifter on these not ridiculously long? It's about the first thing I noticed the first time I drove my MH. It's as though they wanted the passenger to be able to help! I wonder if it could be shortened?

The tach dash is plug and play almost. Uses a different oil sender unit and there are no park, rev, n, d etc lights as the 4 runner has the shifter on the floor with the letters there. I have been told that powering up the dash with the old oil sensor will fry the tach oil gauge. That may be the case as with the new sensor my gauge barely moves up. I have a second tach dash and will swap out the gauge one day to see if I indeed did burn it out or I got the wrong sender.

Any how all the same plugs fit in the back and the tach is operational.

Looks very nice. Something I'd like to do myself.

Thanks!

I'm still looking for the elusive SR5 2WD V6 AUTO gauge cluster...

Is there a center console that could be stolen from a 4Runner that would fit? I imagine so.

Yup, If you want something in the middle, it would fit, and you can even hook up the rear heater! But I like the empty space to move back and forth... My kids are both in the back seats strapped in car seats so i need to go back there quick if they start to beat on each other fast :)

Switching topics a bit, but is it just me, or is the tranny shifter on these not ridiculously long? It's about the first thing I noticed the first time I drove my MH. It's as though they wanted the passenger to be able to help! I wonder if it could be shortened?

I don't mind the length, never noticed it until you pointed it out... Now what am I going to do? ~ Good thing my memory is short :)

that a great swap what year is your MH ?? i have a 1987 and it a different type of steering wheel then the one picture I wander if I could put this one on mine just to have a nicer looking steering wheel ???

It's a 1989 so the next generation from your 87 model. It would probably bolt on fine, where are you? If you like, I can send you the old one to try, (you pay the shipping).

Andrew.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't forget to grab the SR5 seats, too!

Found a lovely discarded '93 4Runner (with windows/sunroof closed!!!!) in an Upstate NY salvage yard last year... the leather steering wheel makes for a much more satisfying tactile experience...

Seats were a H-U-G-E improvement!!! much better construction / foam / support... and the lumbar/side-bolster adjustment is KEY... also - I like how the headrest ratchets down right to the nape of my neck... almost makes me doze off while I'm screaming down the Thruway :)

Also snagged 4Runner floormats...

INstrument cluster was tempting... but the floor-mounted automatic in the 4-Runner (w/o dash-mount gear indicator) would make the swap-out less-than perfect

Yes! I'm looking for some tan cloth SR5 seats for a good price. I have found some, but they wanted too much for them... But they are next on my list!! One a side note, here in Canada, we have been flooded with Japanese right hand drive 4runners... They have the 7-way adjustable seat on the right! great for the passenger :)

• 1 month later...

andrew,

That would be great just to see if it work I dont mind paying for the shipping as long it not too expensive to ship will you need it back ???

i am located in ca 91007

here the e- mail

PDQmovie@pacbell.net

PDQmovie, did you get a chance to see if it works? :)

A.

hi there ,

i have not have the chance to work on it i need a special tool to take off the old steering wheel and i have not found this part as soon as i can get one i be ready to try the transfer i let you know with the results when i get to this project . Thanks again

Price