Greetings to all,

I own a 90 Toyota V6 Automatic 1 Ton w/91 Seabreeze coach. I have noticed the tranny dipstick is a real bear to reinsert after checking fluid level. I also noticed the fluid level seems way above full. The fluid looks and smells fresh. A little background.

I bought the RV in January and immediately had oil and lube service done. The guys at Jiffy Lube said all your fluid levels are good, ( I know, never trust a lube monkey ). Any how we proceeded to take a 4000 plus mile road trip from northern Arizona to Michigan and back in the dead of winter during the arctic blast. Needless to say we did not encounter many RV's on that trip. The RV ran flawlessly the whole trip with the exception of a little slippage on the ice packed sub zero roadways (scary).

The RV had 45000 miles when we bought it and now just turned over 50000. I figure its due for an oil change and was wondering if I should have them drain out a little bit of the tranny fluid or just leave it alone.

Back to the original question. Should I trust the dipstick reading, and is it normal for the dipstick to be difficult to reinsert. I have owned many vehicles with automatic transmission and don't recall having this much trouble before.

Sorry for the short novel.

Thank You,

seabreezer

The dip stick can be trusted, but the unit (or truck frame) needs to be level, and running. The level will change with the temp. of the tranny. The full mark is when the transmission is at 180* and the low mark could be fill if the transmission is cold. Grab hold of the dip stick if its uncomfortable use the high mark. The dip stick will go in easyer if you try to turn the stick. it needs to flex around the bends.

If your unit sits like mind the rear is highter when parked on a flat surface, if this is the case you need to level up the front end to check the tran.laugh.gif

Have a 91 and yes the transmission dip stick is a royal pain in the keester to put back in. It would be much easier to put in the keester. I think I fought that thing for 5 mins one day. Not to mention its under / behind the distributor. Both oil sticks are there. Toyota dropped the ball in that engineering arena. So its not just you. The stick seems way tool flimsy and wants to just bend and flex all over the place. I have the same reading, hot and cold is high of the mark. seems though that on other machines your supposed to check the level while the engine is running in park or drive. Anyone brave enough to force there hand down against all those spark plug wires while the engine is running to pull it out then?

• 2 months later...

[

I own a 90 Toyota V6 Automatic 1 Ton w/91 Seabreeze coach. I have noticed the tranny dipstick is a real bear to reinsert after checking fluid level. I also noticed the fluid level seems way above full. The fluid looks and smells fresh. A little background.

I

my dipstick is the same. the trick is the rotation of the flat side + using one hand to feed it in while holding the end with the other end (you can not put in by the handle)

I think it should be checked while level with warm fluid.

I note where the flat side of the stick is oriented while pulling it out - it twists at the last part of the pull due to the bends in the tube. If you put it back in at the same orientation that it comes out and feed it back in rather then shoving it in it becomes more doable.

• 2 months later...

I have an 89, Odyssey Americana, and I am unable to get the tranny dipstick back in, I have been fighting it for days and it won"go in.

Do es anybody have any more suggestions. Do you think a new dipstick would help or not?

I am about to give up and put a cork in it.

Thanks

Gary N.