Help with sagging cabinets?

higpicker

Hi all,

My wife and I own a 91 Warrior which recently has started showing signs of the cabinets coming off the ceiling! I'm getting very concerned about it and don't know how to tighten things up. It appears that the metal roof covers up any method of accessing the fasteners... Do I need to take off the metal roof???

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Hi all,

My wife and I own a 91 Warrior which recently has started showing signs of the cabinets coming off the ceiling! I'm getting very concerned about it and don't know how to tighten things up. It appears that the metal roof covers up any method of accessing the fasteners... Do I need to take off the metal roof???

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Also, if anyone would want to ping me off of the list, you can at higpicker@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Mike

Hello,

You should have vertical screws going into the ceiling joists on the cabinet face above the doors. I'm not sure what type of construction material was used in your particular RV, but you could try tightening those screws. If you have water damage in the ceiling, you very well may have to peel back the roof and replace damaged joists to do a proper fix. I hope you have a simple fix, I spent most of the past winter repairing water damage in my Sea Breeze. This web site helped me out a lot. I'm sure it will help you too.

Good Luck,

Seabreezer

Hi Mike,

I'm having the same issue's with Sadie's cabinet over the sink. During this last winter, melt water after a nice little ice storm found it's way around a screw holding on the roof railing and soaked the ceiling and liner. (Of course, I didn't know it until much later.) The carpet roof liner had held the moisture against the plywood ceiling causing the screws holding the cabinet to rust and the plywood to expand. The screws have work out of the ceiling, and I've jammed a stick between the upper cabinet and the lower cabinet for now. I'm not ready to completely tear down the ceiling and cabinet just yet. I've sealed all the possible leaky roof spots, and (as a quick fix) will unscrew the screws holding the cabinets, drill new pilot holes and rescrew the cabinet in new spots to the ceiling. Keep in touch.

Shanda

In my 85 Sunrader the cabinets were partially detached and the roof on that side was also sagging.

I got some banister posts at Home Depot with the metal plate below.

Jacked up the cabinets, then inserted the posts one in the front one at the rear.

Some of the older Toys had metal fence type things that held up the cabinets.

An added plus is that I can reach in and use it for a great grab handle when entering.

Henry

Hi Mike,

I'm having the same issue's with Sadie's cabinet over the sink. During this last winter, melt water after a nice little ice storm found it's way around a screw holding on the roof railing and soaked the ceiling and liner. (Of course, I didn't know it until much later.) The carpet roof liner had held the moisture against the plywood ceiling causing the screws holding the cabinet to rust and the plywood to expand. The screws have work out of the ceiling, and I've jammed a stick between the upper cabinet and the lower cabinet for now. I'm not ready to completely tear down the ceiling and cabinet just yet. I've sealed all the possible leaky roof spots, and (as a quick fix) will unscrew the screws holding the cabinets, drill new pilot holes and rescrew the cabinet in new spots to the ceiling. Keep in touch.

Shanda

I got some banister posts at Home Depot with the metal plate below.

Jacked up the cabinets, then inserted the posts one in the front one at the rear.

That's a great idea Henry. I will think about doing that with Sadie's cabinet too.