5 Outside Rear Clearance lights

Stewart's Landing

I was installing new lights on the back of my Sunraider, 5 above rear window. I accidentally shorted one out, all five are now out and I can't find a fuse for them. I was promised a owners manual a couple of years ago when my wife purchased it. Never happened , I don't want to start taking out carpet in cabinet's to get to wiring if there is a fuse panel someplace. Have main panel with breakers and a 7 or 8 15 amp fuses but none of them appear to be for clearance lights. Thank you for any ideas help getting read to go on trip 7/9 would be nice to have them working. Wally Stewart

Can't really help you with your problem, since I don't own a Sunrader. FWIW, I hear that the Sunrader Owner's Manual is pretty short on information, so I don't even know that the answer to your problem would be in there anyway.

I think I'd start with a multimeter and isolate whether your problem is on the 'hot' or 'ground' side of the circuit.

Is it possible that the rear clearance lights gets power from the rear tail lights? Are they still working?

I've never been able to figure out the function of those lights anyway!! Are they required by law? Are they there to stop you from being run into by low flying aircraft? Or do they emit some secret energy shield to protect you from low tree branches or bridges?

When you consider 5 in the front, 5 in the back, 2 holes for mounting screws and 1 for a wire, that's 30 extra holes in your 'shell' to potentially leak!!

I was installing new lights on the back of my Sunraider, 5 above rear window. I accidentally shorted one out, all five are now out and I can't find a fuse for them. I was promised a owners manual a couple of years ago when my wife purchased it. Never happened , I don't want to start taking out carpet in cabinet's to get to wiring if there is a fuse panel someplace. Have main panel with breakers and a 7 or 8 15 amp fuses but none of them appear to be for clearance lights. Thank you for any ideas help getting read to go on trip 7/9 would be nice to have them working. Wally Stewart

If it was wired correctly it will use the trucks normal fuses under the dash or hood. But all the running lights should be out including the tail lights if its the fuse. If thats not the case then a trace of the wires will be needed to find out what went wrong. You could have smoked a connector.

If it was wired correctly it will use the trucks normal fuses under the dash or hood. But all the running lights should be out including the tail lights if its the fuse. If thats not the case then a trace of the wires will be needed to find out what went wrong. You could have smoked a connector.

I figured the wiring for the light out. they are wired in series starting from right to left. There was a wire that wasn't making good connection on second light. 2 front lights to go and all the upper clearance light will be new. I am also getting ready to replace the back bumper, my wife backed into a tree with one side. I a going to wrap new bumper with aluminum diamond plate.

Glad you're making progress with the lights.

WRT the bumper, maybe you don't want to make it too strong. If there's ever another 'incident' somethings gotta give! Either the bumper or what it's attached to. Probably easier to repair/replace a bent bumper than a bent frame. And by all accounts, the frame extensions aren't too solid. And if the extension bends, so does the whole house!

I figured the wiring for the light out. they are wired in series starting from right to left. There was a wire that wasn't making good connection on second light. 2 front lights to go and all the upper clearance light will be new. I am also getting ready to replace the back bumper, my wife backed into a tree with one side. I a going to wrap new bumper with aluminum diamond plate.

If they are wired in series then they are wired incorrectly. They should be wired parallel to the supply line.

If they are wired in series then they are wired incorrectly. They should be wired parallel to the supply line.

Yeah they would be pretty dim! Guess he means daisy chained.

• 1 month later...

it might be better to sacrifice a bumper -- also the weight of turning it into a tank is an issue too.