I have an '85 toyota motorhome that has had the rear axle upgraded to the 6 lug. The front hubs are still 5 bolt. I would like to change the front to 6 bolt so the spare will work all around. Can anyone tell me if the parts (front hub and brakes) from a 1991 toyota 1 ton will bolt on to my '85? I wasn't sure if the parts were interchangeable or not. I have called my local toyota dealer and two salvage yards, but nobody has been able to give me an answer. Thanks! Zak

I have an '85 toyota motorhome that has had the rear axle upgraded to the 6 lug. The front hubs are still 5 bolt. I would like to change the front to 6 bolt so the spare will work all around. Can anyone tell me if the parts (front hub and brakes) from a 1991 toyota 1 ton will bolt on to my '85? I wasn't sure if the parts were interchangeable or not. I have called my local toyota dealer and two salvage yards, but nobody has been able to give me an answer. Thanks! Zak

They are not interchangeable. I have heard of an adapter plate for the front hub that converts it to a 6 lug. It may have been a custom build though from a machine shop. Even with an adapter I would be concerned that the bearing assembly could stand up to the different offset of the dual wheel. It has a deeper offset than the 5 lug and therefore will apply loads to the hub differently. Actually might be better to carry two spares. One under the truck and one on the rear bumper.

Greg, if one does go the way of an adapter, provided that the final offset is correct, the only components that are stressed differently to before are the adapter and the new wheel. Of the 2, the dually was always made for that offset and so was made strong enough. The adapter in the thickness concerned should be plenty strong. Provided the relationship of the tire to wheel bearings is as before, there will be no impact to the wheel bearings whatsoever.

The major negative in this conversion is that the unsprung weight goes up by the weight of the spacer, the new wheel studs and the difference in weight of the dually vs regular rim. That weight difference is substantial. Every time you hit a bump in the road all of the suspension components have to work against all that inertia. For a vehicle that does not do a lot of mileage a year, I can see the attraction of having a single spare tire. Where more frequent use is the case, the conversion will lead to ball joints, shocks etc having a substantially reduced lifetime.

They are not interchangeable. I have heard of an adapter plate for the front hub that converts it to a 6 lug. It may have been a custom build though from a machine shop. Even with an adapter I would be concerned that the bearing assembly could stand up to the different offset of the dual wheel. It has a deeper offset than the 5 lug and therefore will apply loads to the hub differently. Actually might be better to carry two spares. One under the truck and one on the rear bumper.

There were Toyota hubs designed for the 6 bolt wheel mine has them the rotor is different also.

Greg, if one does go the way of an adapter, provided that the final offset is correct, the only components that are stressed differently to before are the adapter and the new wheel. Of the 2, the dually was always made for that offset and so was made strong enough. The adapter in the thickness concerned should be plenty strong. Provided the relationship of the tire to wheel bearings is as before, there will be no impact to the wheel bearings whatsoever.

The major negative in this conversion is that the unsprung weight goes up by the weight of the spacer, the new wheel studs and the difference in weight of the dually vs regular rim. That weight difference is substantial. Every time you hit a bump in the road all of the suspension components have to work against all that inertia. For a vehicle that does not do a lot of mileage a year, I can see the attraction of having a single spare tire. Where more frequent use is the case, the conversion will lead to ball joints, shocks etc having a substantially reduced lifetime.

Its called leverage. Maybe its a moog point but hitting a pot hole at 60 mph with a wheel that has 2 inches more offset has to apply more angle or rotational (leverage) force to the bearings and shaft. I am just saying that the standard hub and shaft assembly may not be designed for that. I guess the only way to really know is to compare apples to apples and see if the 1 ton front hub assembly is built more heavy duty. After all it is a 1 ton 6 lug hub as opposed to a 1/2 ton hub, there is a reason for 6 lugs instead of 5. I am just guessing at all this but it seems logical. The wheel itself or tire needs to track in the same place yet where it will bolt up will be at least 2 inches further to the outside than the 1/2 ton. The weight of the wheel is just about the same and with an adapter the final bolt down is still 5 lugs to the hub.

The adapter offsets the rim about 2", the dually rim ofsets the tire 2" the other way. The tire stays in the same place as the 5 lug hub.

Thats why even the true 1 ton fronts have an adapter from Toyota installed, otherwise the dually rim would be offsetting the tire way to far in.