Sadie heads North

shandamac

Sadie and I head out for Idaho on Sunday night, (after a weekend of playing music and sound engineer at the Oklahoma Celtic Heritage Fest in Stillwater.) I'm super stoked about the trip, and nervous all at the same time. She's been running like a champ, and I've had everything I can think of checked. My 19 year old daughter will be traveling with me, and we've mapped and figured and figured and mapped. By tomorrow afternoon, if it aint packed, it aint going. (Money..check. Fiddle....check. Peanut butter....check.) Within memory, I haven't been North of Winfield KS. The vast openess of of Montana and Wyoming beckons to me!!! The Mountains call!!! I wonder how she'll be received at the little rv park on the St. Joe. 3 nights there, and then it's back home to Oklahoma. A whirlwind of a trip. I hope we make it.

Have a great week all.

shanda, gil and sadie

Sadie and I head out for Idaho on Sunday night, (after a weekend of playing music and sound engineer at the Oklahoma Celtic Heritage Fest in Stillwater.) I'm super stoked about the trip, and nervous all at the same time. She's been running like a champ, and I've had everything I can think of checked. My 19 year old daughter will be traveling with me, and we've mapped and figured and figured and mapped. By tomorrow afternoon, if it aint packed, it aint going. (Money..check. Fiddle....check. Peanut butter....check.) Within memory, I haven't been North of Winfield KS. The vast openess of of Montana and Wyoming beckons to me!!! The Mountains call!!! I wonder how she'll be received at the little rv park on the St. Joe. 3 nights there, and then it's back home to Oklahoma. A whirlwind of a trip. I hope we make it.

Have a great week all.

shanda, gil and sadie

Good luck and have fun on your trip. I see you could either go North from Cheyenne to Billings MT then Helena MT to St Maries. Beautiful drive but I think you would have much less mountains to climb if you go West at Cheyenne , cross Wyoming straight across heading West. to Salt Lake UT, Twin Falls Idaho , Boise Idaho then North. to Lewiston n St Maries.

Seems like there are alot of mountains and curves if you go the Helena way.

But perhaps you had already decided to cross southern Wy. it is pretty but no real mountains, mostly rock and sagebrush but pretty. Also pretty flat going from Salt lake to Boise area. Maybe better on gas except for Wyoming. Very windy usually so hopefully you will have a tail wind.

Be sure to gas up alot in Wyoming, at least if you go across the southern part. It is sometimes a long way between stations.

Let me know which way you are going as I have been through there.

will try to get back on later and see if you would like advice.

If you go through Salt Lake City Utah and Boise then West and then North.....you will get into some pretty mountains and forest trees

going North then.

Edited by cheryle

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Cheryle. I appreciate your comments (even though I'm now reading them after the fact usd.gif) . This time I went through Cheyenne, Billings, Missoula then down 3 to St Maries. It was wonderful!!!!! You're right about the wind though, on the way up between Bozeman and Missoula it was head on. North of Wheatland WY too....was thankful when the sun went down and the wind died down. Coming home, the wind favored us until I-70 East of Denver and we hit the plains. All in all though, it was a wonderful trip, and Sadie was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! Averaged 18.5 mpg. Used premium gas. Stopped every 150 miles or so for a short break and to top off the tank. Just went Sadie speed....averaged 55mph or so....against the wind was closer to 50 mph....with the wind-60mph....down hill with the wind-70mph....uphill on steep incline 35-40pmh....maybe once (twice at the most) 2nd gear 20-30 mph.......still passed a semi carrying a load of coal.....THE WHOLE TRIP UP AND BACK.....JUST AMAZING!!!!!!!! 1780 miles one way!!! Did it in 2 days coming home to Oklahoma. Just a couple of real slow spots. However...I learned this. Going 55 is the best not only for gas mileage, but for overall "experience". We saw everything! The grass, the trees, the hills, the creeks, the rushing rivers, the antelope, the buffalo, the ground squirrels, the flowers, the buttes, the prairies, the peaks, the plateaus, the rolling vastness of Kansas, Colorado,Wyoming, and Montana. We drove with the windows open. Each State had it's own smell. A cool front hit the first night at McPhearson KS. We slept with blankets every night after that. Camped by the St. Joe for 4 nights. Went garnet hunting, wading Emerald Creek, sight seeing, fell in love with Harrison, Lake Cour d'Alene and the palouse area...(high farm land ....just beautiful.). Our last day, we bought fresh morels, just picked that morning by a mountain boy named Tyeson (trying to raise money to fix his truck) at the farmers market and fried them up beer batter style for supper. NO HUMIDITY!!!!!! NEVER GOT ABOVE 75F!!!!!! Pine trees, Firs, Spruce, Hemlock, Cottonwood, Wild Rose, Huckleberry!!!!! Fresh Water!!!! Trout, Salmon, Pike!!!!! Coming home, we listened to books on tape (no CD player in Sadie). The farther South, the warmer it got. First night on trip home, Walmart parking lot, Casper WY- great place. Decided to push it the 2nd day, and drove 976 (which google says is about 15 hours...I'm guessing at 70mph.) It took us about 20+ at 50/55mph. Came sneaking home to Shawnee OK at 4am ish in a rainy drizzle and beautiful light show in the South. Hugged my sleepy puppy, kitty, youngest daughter Jen and snuggled in next to Gary....so glad I'd taken an extra day to recover. Cleaning out the motorhome, and making plans to do it all again as soon as possible. Maybe tomorrow. (Pictures to follow)

Thank you Cheryle. I appreciate your comments (even though I'm now reading them after the fact usd.gif) . This time I went through Cheyenne, Billings, Missoula then down 3 to St Maries. It was wonderful!!!!! You're right about the wind though, on the way up between Bozeman and Missoula it was head on. North of Wheatland WY too....was thankful when the sun went down and the wind died down. Coming home, the wind favored us until I-70 East of Denver and we hit the plains. All in all though, it was a wonderful trip, and Sadie was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! Averaged 18.5 mpg. Used premium gas. Stopped every 150 miles or so for a short break and to top off the tank. Just went Sadie speed....averaged 55mph or so....against the wind was closer to 50 mph....with the wind-60mph....down hill with the wind-70mph....uphill on steep incline 35-40pmh....maybe once (twice at the most) 2nd gear 20-30 mph.......still passed a semi carrying a load of coal.....THE WHOLE TRIP UP AND BACK.....JUST AMAZING!!!!!!!! 1780 miles one way!!! Did it in 2 days coming home to Oklahoma. Just a couple of real slow spots. However...I learned this. Going 55 is the best not only for gas mileage, but for overall "experience". We saw everything! The grass, the trees, the hills, the creeks, the rushing rivers, the antelope, the buffalo, the ground squirrels, the flowers, the buttes, the prairies, the peaks, the plateaus, the rolling vastness of Kansas, Colorado,Wyoming, and Montana. We drove with the windows open. Each State had it's own smell. A cool front hit the first night at McPhearson KS. We slept with blankets every night after that. Camped by the St. Joe for 4 nights. Went garnet hunting, wading Emerald Creek, sight seeing, fell in love with Harrison, Lake Cour d'Alene and the palouse area...(high farm land ....just beautiful.). Our last day, we bought fresh morels, just picked that morning by a mountain boy named Tyeson (trying to raise money to fix his truck) at the farmers market and fried them up beer batter style for supper. NO HUMIDITY!!!!!! NEVER GOT ABOVE 75F!!!!!! Pine trees, Firs, Spruce, Hemlock, Cottonwood, Wild Rose, Huckleberry!!!!! Fresh Water!!!! Trout, Salmon, Pike!!!!! Coming home, we listened to books on tape (no CD player in Sadie). The farther South, the warmer it got. First night on trip home, Walmart parking lot, Casper WY- great place. Decided to push it the 2nd day, and drove 976 (which google says is about 15 hours...I'm guessing at 70mph.) It took us about 20+ at 50/55mph. Came sneaking home to Shawnee OK at 4am ish in a rainy drizzle and beautiful light show in the South. Hugged my sleepy puppy, kitty, youngest daughter Jen and snuggled in next to Gary....so glad I'd taken an extra day to recover. Cleaning out the motorhome, and making plans to do it all again as soon as possible. Maybe tomorrow. (Pictures to follow)

Wow I am glad you are home safe. I was worried about you two and I dont even know you LOL Sounds like you had a wonderful trip! You are so brave. You will be an example to me to what I can do. I am excited to go somewhere but have to earn money for tires etc.....

I might someday paint my truck with some neat things like you did. Can you tell me what you used for paint and sealer?

I found some pictures you posted .......not sure if they are all up yet but I will check in more often!

Wow I am glad you are home safe. I was worried about you two and I dont even know you LOL Sounds like you had a wonderful trip! You are so brave. You will be an example to me to what I can do. I am excited to go somewhere but have to earn money for tires etc.....

I might someday paint my truck with some neat things like you did. Can you tell me what you used for paint and sealer?

I found some pictures you posted .......not sure if they are all up yet but I will check in more often!

Cheryle,

I have not regretted one moment of buying my little motorhome. I did have to have the dreaded 5 lug, light weight rearend replaced. (Just shopping for the 1 ton rearend assembly was an empowering experience.) Then there was the "research, research, research", since I'd never even stepped in a motorhome, let alone "owned" one. Also, I embraced the quality time it took to "refurbish" the house, since she had quite a bit of water damage around the dinette. (Ultimately, I'd still like to gut her and start over, but for now, she's happy, and I'm happy, so we'll leave things as they are for now.)

I've been known to drive Sadie to the office when I start suffering from traveling withdrawals. She just sits in back, and I'll run out at lunch and have a quiet moment and read....(usually something about Eqyptian Jewelry or French cuisine.) I always knew I was going to paint her....my blood is thick with art....When I finally "had the vision" of "how", I bought car enamel from an actual auto paint supplier.....chose my colors to match her 80's stripe. (That paint is good and stuck......I didn't seal it.) You can see the brush marks, and that's part of the affect I wanted, but I'm sure a person could make templates and airbrush too. Somewhere on my profile here, I've sort of documented certain "Sadie moments".... Click on Sadie's avatar, and it should take you to the profile, then under the picture (I think) with be a list of my "topics".....I think they go in reverse order, and I think some of the older entries fall off to make room for newer entries, but it'll be an interesting read and hopefully encourage you.

Life is what we make it. Make it fun!

keep in touch!

Shanda

smcdonald2@allstate.com

BTW, Greg,

What happens to the older topics?

Cheryle,

I have not regretted one moment of buying my little motorhome. I did have to have the dreaded 5 lug, light weight rearend replaced. (Just shopping for the 1 ton rearend assembly was an empowering experience.) Then there was the "research, research, research", since I'd never even stepped in a motorhome, let alone "owned" one. Also, I embraced the quality time it took to "refurbish" the house, since she had quite a bit of water damage around the dinette. (Ultimately, I'd still like to gut her and start over, but for now, she's happy, and I'm happy, so we'll leave things as they are for now.)

I've been known to drive Sadie to the office when I start suffering from traveling withdrawals. She just sits in back, and I'll run out at lunch and have a quiet moment and read....(usually something about Eqyptian Jewelry or French cuisine.) I always knew I was going to paint her....my blood is thick with art....When I finally "had the vision" of "how", I bought car enamel from an actual auto paint supplier.....chose my colors to match her 80's stripe. (That paint is good and stuck......I didn't seal it.) You can see the brush marks, and that's part of the affect I wanted, but I'm sure a person could make templates and airbrush too. Somewhere on my profile here, I've sort of documented certain "Sadie moments".... Click on Sadie's avatar, and it should take you to the profile, then under the picture (I think) with be a list of my "topics".....I think they go in reverse order, and I think some of the older entries fall off to make room for newer entries, but it'll be an interesting read and hopefully encourage you.

Life is what we make it. Make it fun!

keep in touch!

Shanda

smcdonald2@allstate.com

Hi Shanda!

Thanks for the info and I will check out those links. I sometimes think I need a bigger MH , as I can still back out of this deal as it is with my X but then I think well why not start out this way. If I live in it someday and sell my arts n crafts on the road I may need to go bigger.

that is good that you got the axle done. mine has the 6 in back and 5 in front so I guess I am ok. So much to learn.

It has had some leaks too but think we got them all sealed again and I may go get some Rubber Roof or something and do the whole roof, there again I have no idea what I am talking about. Just learning about what tires to buy is daunting.

It does have a hitch but seems all the posts I read say you can't really haul anything. I also would like to gut her sort of and make a different table, take out some seats. (it wont be for entertaining but for doing arts n crafts to sell while on the road) but the upholstery is pretty good for the most part and of course matches the interior of the cab and it is blue with tiny muave roses. and I am prone to go shabby chic. I think they are muave have to go back and make sure lol

so it is kind of nice. I almost wish it was in worse shape so I could start from scratch. I will need to re wallpaper and some curtains are missing. I think I will get some upholstery material sort of like they use and get some of that BlackOut fabric you can get it at walmart. It is room darkening and also helps keep heat and cold out. I sometimes work at night and sleep in the day so if I the curtains with the BlackOut that should work. It isnt cheap though.

Or I have some muave decorator fabric in stripes so could use that and line it with the black out.

Guess I am just rambling. I love the way you made your sleeper look so elegant.

I know what you mean about going out there for lunch, I sometimes go out and sit in her and feel so free!

I want to use it to to take my mom n sis shopping. sis is blind almost and mom is 88 so they are very slow and I get worn out waiting. this way they can shop till they drop and I can go make some coffee and relax lol

most people think I am crazy lol but oh well lol

Some times I wonder about the necessity for new tires. They have so much great tread on them I saw a post of aperson who still had original tires and they were like 12 yrs old. but then I guess better safe than sorry

I will probably try to make a photo album of before and after before I start doing much so maybe can post it on here. Trouble is nothing is going to happen overnight like I would like it to!

Would love to hear from you again! and will go check out the links now!

Cheryl

BTW, Greg,

What happens to the older topics?

I don't know. I will look into things. There is a setting called prunning but I don't have it turned on at least I don't think its on. I will check.

By the way, I want to go on that trip, sounds like a great time!

Well prunning is not on, the fist post to this forum was april 8th 2005 and is still visable.

That's good. Is there a limit on how many posts (or rather "topics") show up under an individual profile?