My engine is using oil to the tune of about a quart per thousand miles, but it doesn't smoke. I have looked at the plugs and they are clean, no oil fouling at all. There is no sign of oil in the coolant system and there is no puddle in my driveway or oil slick along the undercarriage. Where does it go? Is it possible that my Toyota has found a way to overcome the law of conservation? I mean I am all about a Toyota and think they are great vehicles but being able to alter one of the basic laws of physics! Does that increase my resale value? ;)

My engine is using oil to the tune of about a quart per thousand miles, but it doesn't smoke. I have looked at the plugs and they are clean, no oil fouling at all. There is no sign of oil in the coolant system and there is no puddle in my driveway or oil slick along the undercarriage. Where does it go? Is it possible that my Toyota has found a way to overcome the law of conservation? I mean I am all about a Toyota and think they are great vehicles but being able to alter one of the basic laws of physics! Does that increase my resale value? ;)

I think a quart per 1000 miles is pretty good. Mine was a quart per 750. I have 107,000 miles.

I switched to high mileage oil 20/50 and added Lucas oil additive. The last time I needed to add oil was

at 1200 miles. That is fine for me. I think when the rings are good it is the oil seals on the valves, and the

high mileage oil may help with that.

Henry

I think a quart per 1000 miles is pretty good. Mine was a quart per 750. I have 107,000 miles.

I switched to high mileage oil 20/50 and added Lucas oil additive. The last time I needed to add oil was

at 1200 miles. That is fine for me. I think when the rings are good it is the oil seals on the valves, and the

high mileage oil may help with that.

Henry

Thanks for the reply. My biggest concern is that I am looking to put a turbo from LC engineering on the motor ( I live in Utah, I can't go anywhere without going uphill.) to bump the horse power up to about 150. But I don't want to make the problem worse by increasing the pressures in the motor.

My Toy uses a qt every 6000 mi, but I change oil every 3,000. So I never add oil between changes.

At 1 qt every 1000 mi you will need to rebuild your engine before turboing it.

FWIW an old mechanic told me that 1 qt every 1000 mi equals about 2 drops of oil per mile, so you would never see it on a spark plug reading.