I'm swapping out my 5 lug rear end for a 6 lug 1 ton. I bought a 1986 flat bed toyota with the 1 ton axle. I was just wondering if anyone out there that's done this before had any tips or tricks or anything to look out for? Do the drive shafts from the two match up? Do you have to get anything cut or welded to match or does everything swap in and out without any additional fabrication? Anything anyone ran into when doing this would be helpful

I think there is a glitch in the u-joint flange and maybe the shock placement.. Cant remember exactly.

Like maybe the rear flange can be redrilled or just changed. The shock thing was some of the older Toys had both shocks on the same side of the axle and the later units has a shock in the front on one side and the back on the other

I think there is a glitch in the u-joint flange and maybe the shock placement.. Cant remember exactly.

Like maybe the rear flange can be redrilled or just changed. The shock thing was some of the older Toys had both shocks on the same side of the axle and the later units has a shock in the front on one side and the back on the other

Yeah, i'm in the process of swapping too. new shock mounts onto the FRAME are required (stronger than crossmember like older toys, mine is 1983) Not quite sure yet about the u-joint flange... try to turn it around if it does'nt line up as the holes pattern can be excentric... I have the job done by a heavy trucks spring shop, they will beef up my leaf springs with my old ones, rearched them, put heavy duty shocks, weld new shock mounts, install the swaybars and brake lines for around 500$, i think it's a fair deal and i'll have peace of mind when i'll stuff my truck full of gears and hit the road...