Muffler replacement question?

Guest cstevejohn

My '84 Toyota coachmen is need of a muffler but I'm not sure if I would be better served to take it to a RV service center or a "regular old muffler shop". In case you are wondering, Yes I'm extremely new to this. :rolleyes:

Muffler shop. RV places won't have parts and they will buy them from some one else and charge accordingly so you might as well go to the source. Good muffler shops also have the ability to bend pipes as needed a lot of RV's have custom tail pipes made just for that module.

• 1 month later...

For my seabreeze I used the walker exhaust from NAPA, was a good fit, but needed to add a piece of straight pipe to make up for the length difference of a normal toy truck.

e z to do yourself if you don't mind crawling on the groundthumbup.gif

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, so new to this thing I haven't even bought my first one.

But I'm looking at this 1988 toyota dolphin which seems like a great deal except for that little mention of "needs new muffler". I was wondering if anyone here could tell me A. where I might be able to get one (boston area) B. How hard it is to install/if I could do it myself (biggest engine work I've done is on old motorcycles) and C. If you might have any idea what the part and or service might cost.

Your answers and or any help are extremely appreciated and just might be the info I need to make that big commitment and become a proud toyota motorhome owner.

Thanks

Alex

617 899 7061

It's not a "clean" job you will be covered with rust and often with out a torch or other forms of cutting tools you may not be able to get the tail pipe out of the muffler but if the muffler is bad the tail pipe probably is too. It's a no brainer it's just dirty work.

• 1 month later...

OK, what were you smoking?

C'mon guys, maybe you need a refresher course... It's all ball bearings these days.

FYI

I took my 92 Dolphin to a muffler/repair shop here in Nevada (I know that's too far for you). They did a very nice job of replacing the muffler and tailpipe, doing the pipe bending in their shop. The total cost was around $148, which I thought was worth it since the original stuff looked pretty rusted together. They were also able to utilize the original hangers for the tailpipe, this I requested in the beginning. I think you need to find a shop that has a drive on lift though. This shop was working on a small city bus when I arrived. They had the right facilities for the job. All the regular muffler shops locally, like Midas, etc., didn't have the drive on lift needed.

Master Transmission & Automotive Centers

- www.mastermta.com

3344 North Rancho Drive, Las Vegas - (702) 876-3200

3 reviews, directions, hours, and more »

For my sea Breeze I used the proper 1988 1ton toy exhaust from NAPA - walker exhaust, plus a 10 ft pc of straight pipe cut to fit and a couple of elbows,

this was a direct bolt up and no torch or major cutting needed, (one hack saw cut for 10ft pipe). replace from the converter back. The toyota exhaust covers to the rear of the axle, from there you need to add a couple of elbows and the long pipe.