Strong LED Interior Lights - Which to buy?

yoyoman

Hi, I have a 1979 Sunrader and would like to put led lights in my dc light sockets. They are small and look like the same sockets as there are for typical taillights.

What are peoples favorites brand and model led light bulbs that would fit in these sockets?

Also, can these lights or any led lights be purchased from the local auto parts store?

Thanks very much in advance!

Cheap LED's cheap results. Most are not very bright expect to pay $30 or more for good ones. There are a lot of replacement 1156 size LED's if they do not list lumens I would not buy them a 1156 bulb is around 400 lumens (measurement of light output) cheap LED's may only be around 30 bearly enough light to read by super bright around 120. If you can buy some locally take them home and try them that way if they are not bright enough for you, you can take them back.

I have 1156 (S25-36led lights) base led lights I use for backup lights on my lifted truck. They are superwhite and have 36 led bulbs. I previously had xenon 1156 bulbs and these led's are about twice as bright(in my estimation). I bought them from www.ledlight.com they are $13.99 each and the SKU# is 49785W1165. I might add that I have bough quite a few other led lights from these guys and thay are good to deal with. I have led sidemarker lights, 1157's, interior lights, and bulbs on the exterior of my house they have all worked flawlessly. The only other thing that I will say is that these 1156's are a VERY intense light. They also offer softer color led's that would be better suited to interior use. When I back out of my driveway they light up the house across the street like a bright flashlight. I will soon own a 78 dolphin and plan to change the DC bulbs also.

This should be the link to the exact bulbs I have. There are some more powerful options also

http://www.ledlight.com/s25-36-super-bright-led-light.aspx

Good luck, Clayton

Edited by Bikercowboy

• 1 month later...

superbrightleds.com has some rated at 120 lumens for led's that's pretty bright. They have them in cool white that color temperature is closer to what you maybe used to (not an intense white light). They are tiny chip led's mounted on a pc board with a standard bayonet bulb type base. Don't buy led's by watts that is very misleading instead look at the lumens (a measure of light output)if you can't find a lumens rating try another web site. LED technology has changed dramatically in the last year or so and so has the price.

• 4 weeks later...

superbrightleds.com has some rated at 120 lumens for led's that's pretty bright. They have them in cool white that color temperature is closer to what you maybe used to (not an intense white light). They are tiny chip led's mounted on a pc board with a standard bayonet bulb type base. Don't buy led's by watts that is very misleading instead look at the lumens (a measure of light output)if you can't find a lumens rating try another web site. LED technology has changed dramatically in the last year or so and so has the price.

Here is a link to those leds (I think its the ones).

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2Fpcblamp.htm

The 1156-PCB-WHP9 are the ones you want to buy.

• 4 months later...

After purchasing some from SuperBright Leds I ran across some being offered on ebay. Not as powerful but considerably less cost. I have not installed them anywhere but will soon. I also bought a led tape system. 60 leds on about 18 inches of self adhesive tape. They can be separated into 3 leds each. I did separate some and am using them for my range hood light and interior cabinet lighting. They work great. $12 foor the set of 60. I have used 20 of the 60 so far and I ordered one more strip to add to other compartments. I use mini micro lever switches so that when we open the door it turns on the lights. Plenty of light from 12 leds! I cut the leds into sections of 3 x 4 spaced about 4 inches apart.

After purchasing some from SuperBright Leds I ran across some being offered on ebay. Not as powerful but considerably less cost. I have not installed them anywhere but will soon. I also bought a led tape system. 60 leds on about 18 inches of self adhesive tape. They can be separated into 3 leds each. I did separate some and am using them for my range hood light and interior cabinet lighting. They work great. $12 foor the set of 60. I have used 20 of the 60 so far and I ordered one more strip to add to other compartments. I use mini micro lever switches so that when we open the door it turns on the lights. Plenty of light from 12 leds! I cut the leds into sections of 3 x 4 spaced about 4 inches apart.

Greg, I am curious to know which ones you bought off ebay. I would like to install Led's in my overhead lights but I am not willing to pay Superbright's prices (yet). Thanks -

Roxanne

85' Sunrader 4WD

You really get what you pay for cheap LED's don't cut it. The ones I used were $15.95 from Super brights. I made custom housings and flush mounted them with all of the LED's on (6) they use less then 1/2 the power then one 1156 bulb.

post-669-12774212952689_thumb.jpg

post-669-12774212636194_thumb.jpg

Greg, I am curious to know which ones you bought off ebay. I would like to install Led's in my overhead lights but I am not willing to pay Superbright's prices (yet). Thanks -

Roxanne

85' Sunrader 4WD

Here are the strip leds I bought on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

They are the smd technology

You really get what you pay for cheap LED's don't cut it. The ones I used were $15.95 from Super brights. I made custom housings and flush mounted them with all of the LED's on (6) they use less then 1/2 the power then one 1156 bulb.

post-669-12774212952689_thumb.jpg

Here is the link for the round ones I bought also. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250612093053&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT As I said I have not put them in use. They are not as bright as the superbright but for $2.35 each its well worth a test even if I have to use 2 to get enough light. Right now I do have the $15.95 superbright like Maineah in my existing fixtures and they are great and I highly suggest them for interior lighting.

As for the tape leds I am extremely happy with them. We just got back from a 4 day trip and they were in use the whole time. More than enough light. Will they stand the test of time? Who knows but my guess is they will. Superbright has similar products at much higher prices and of course higher lumen's (brightness). I am planning to set up a strip down the center of the rv, tape led in the refer, in all my cabinets and cargo bays activated by micro switches. No more flashlights!