gas mileage

mikie

I just bought a 91 warrior in S. Carolina, with 35k, and drove it to Fresno Calif (3k miles). For the first part of the trip I got 12 mpg. In Amarillo Texas I had the EFI treated with a gum-out injection. I immediately had more power and over the next 1k my mpg improved to almost 15 mpg. I'm told if I change to sinthetic oil and install a K-M high performance air intake I will see even better mpg. Any thoughts?

That sounds right. You can swap the trans oil with RedLine synthetic also but I have not heard of anyone doing it. For the injectors I ran two treatments and saw improvements with both. I will be doing a 3rd sometime in the future. The whole picture of course is the K&N filter plus good spark plugs and wires and new rotor and cap. I know someone who claims better gas mileage by also using premium gas. I guess more horse power translates into needing less gas to push the rig up those hills. I may have to test that!

Hi TomCa. I drove mostly at 55 mph on cruise control. I think there are a lot of unhappy truckers out there due to my speed or lack thereof. I switched to synthetic yesterday and ordered the hi-performance kit ($265). The salesman at K-N supposedly said to expect a 2-3 mpg improvement and more HP. Hmmmmm, I hope so. At Walmart I purchased a window stick-on compass, a 3 outlet expander for the cig lighter, and a clock-temp (in and out) also a stick on (tape). I'm like a kid on Christmas morning.

Hi TomCa. I drove mostly at 55 mph on cruise control. I think there are a lot of unhappy truckers out there due to my speed or lack thereof. I switched to synthetic yesterday and ordered the hi-performance kit ($265). The salesman at K-N supposedly said to expect a 2-3 mpg improvement and more HP. Hmmmmm, I hope so. At Walmart I purchased a window stick-on compass, a 3 outlet expander for the cig lighter, and a clock-temp (in and out) also a stick on (tape). I'm like a kid on Christmas morning.

I bet you're having fun! Let us know if those modifications help improve the MPGs.

• 2 weeks later...

I bet you're having fun! Let us know if those modifications help improve the MPGs.

Well, I installed the k-n injector and immediately noticed more HP. I'm not planning any trips in the near future, but when I do I'll compute the mpg and post the results.

I have a 85 Escaper. I added the K-N filter. I have a 4 cylinder and regularly get 18 to 19 on a level road at about 55 mph. The worse I get is about 16.5. I once had a tail wind for about 150 miles between Lafayette LA and over close to New Orleans and got 21 mpg. That has only happened one time. It was when I first bought it and of course I thought perhaps that would be my regualr miles per gallong Even though I don't get that I am pretty happy with 18-19.

The K&N filter will let more dirt in your engine than the oem filter does. Your engine will wear faster and eventually become less powerful and efficient as a result. Better to install a nice new oem filter.

I keep hearing about the K&N filters being less efficient than the OEM filters and allowing dirt to get into the engine. I have used these filters for many years on all my vehicles and have seen absolutely no evidence that this is true. One of my vehicles has had a K&N filter on it for 100,000 miles and burns no more oil that it did when I bought it. I have had one on my Sunrader for the last 3 years and have put over 2000 miles on desert dirt/gravel roads with it and when I pull the air cleaner cover off to inspect it, there is absolutely no evidence of any dust or dirt getting past the filter. The oil consumption has stayed the same. I do not hesitate to recommend them.

Bill

I keep hearing about the K&N filters being less efficient than the OEM filters and allowing dirt to get into the engine. I have used these filters for many years on all my vehicles and have seen absolutely no evidence that this is true. One of my vehicles has had a K&N filter on it for 100,000 miles and burns no more oil that it did when I bought it. I have had one on my Sunrader for the last 3 years and have put over 2000 miles on desert dirt/gravel roads with it and when I pull the air cleaner cover off to inspect it, there is absolutely no evidence of any dust or dirt getting past the filter. The oil consumption has stayed the same. I do not hesitate to recommend them.

Bill

There have been many tests of the K&N's filtering ability bottom line the OEM's do a better job. Will this shorten the engine life? probably not. What I can tell you never use an oiled K&N filter on any engine that has a hot wire MAF sensor the oil will kill it. Fortunately the older Toyota's do not have a hot wire MAF.

I was disappointed to see that during one jaunt, my pastor was able to get 19.something MPG out of his 35 foot 1993 Vectra Cummins diesel pusher. His RV is significantly larger than mine. He gets 14-19 MPG out of it. I don't know, though. The Dolphin is small and comfortable, and I sort of like that more than a ginormous RV. Less maintnance cost, and not to mention you don't have to put 120 gallons to get the gas gauge to read F. I'll be keeping my RV, but it was interesting to see what an old diesel pusher can get.

• 2 months later...

using a KNN filter on my Honda CRV affected my air intake controller after 30,000 miles of use. The engine suddenly started stalling and the mechanic told me all he had to do was remove the controller and clean it rather than $500 to replace it, he said he has seen this in the past with KNN filters because they breathe "too" well and let contaminents in which stick to and clog the controller. $75 and a thorough controller cleaning later the car runs great with a regular oem air filter. I was bummed because I have been using KNN filters since high school but will no longer.

I was disappointed to see that during one jaunt, my pastor was able to get 19.something MPG out of his 35 foot 1993 Vectra Cummins diesel pusher. His RV is significantly larger than mine. He gets 14-19 MPG out of it. I don't know, though. The Dolphin is small and comfortable, and I sort of like that more than a ginormous RV. Less maintnance cost, and not to mention you don't have to put 120 gallons to get the gas gauge to read F. I'll be keeping my RV, but it was interesting to see what an old diesel pusher can get.

He had better go to confession Sunday either that or he is very bad with figures. More like 6/8 mpg.

He had better go to confession Sunday either that or he is very bad with figures. More like 6/8 mpg.

Perhaps he is effective at praying for a tailwind. :D

I found an easy and effective way to increase mileage while coming north thru California. I find major trucking drivers who are running at 58 to 60 miles per hour and tuck in close behind her/him. I don't use the cruise control as this would be inviting a disaster. This only works on the flat but what the heck, I was driving up the flat central valley. Drafting got my overloaded V6 up to 15.8 MPG (using regular gas) for two tanks in a row. The downside is that I almost ran over the large wheel mounted tire laying in the lane. Couldn't see it till last second. I lucked out and missed it but 12 vehicles on the side of the road weren't as lucky.

Perhaps he is effective at praying for a tailwind. :D

I found an easy and effective way to increase mileage while coming north thru California. I find major trucking drivers who are running at 58 to 60 miles per hour and tuck in close behind her/him. I don't use the cruise control as this would be inviting a disaster. This only works on the flat but what the heck, I was driving up the flat central valley. Drafting got my overloaded V6 up to 15.8 MPG (using regular gas) for two tanks in a row. The downside is that I almost ran over the large wheel mounted tire laying in the lane. Couldn't see it till last second. I lucked out and missed it but 12 vehicles on the side of the road weren't as lucky.

YIKES!!!! :o

Perhaps he is effective at praying for a tailwind. biggrin.gif

I am a truck driver in northern california. I don't mind at all when folks draft off of me, because it increases my fuel economy as well. My truck is governed at exactly 55, so only a few drivers choose to go that slow. Also, a buddy of mine that went into the navy and drove back and forth from san diego to stockton each week, liked drafting until he got a ticket for following too close to a semi.