rain leaks in under the dash

states02

Hi all, I have a 1984 dolphin w/22r engine and four speed manual. Last week we took a trip in a driving rain and I noticed that water was leaking from the ducting under the dash. I began the trip with the heater control turned to fresh rather than recirc. I wonder if there are some vents out front that were letting pooled water get in. Are there some cleanout drains to keep the rain from pooling? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

We are not ignoring you, water leaks can be one of the most exasperating things to try and fix the only thing I can suggest you try is to get a friend to squirt water on it while you have a look under the dash with a strong flash light. It's not rusty around the glass is it?

We are not ignoring you, water leaks can be one of the most exasperating things to try and fix the only thing I can suggest you try is to get a friend to squirt water on it while you have a look under the dash with a strong flash light. It's not rusty around the glass is it?

Not too rusty around the windshield. I think it's wherever the heating system collects the fresh air. I suspect there's a drain hole that let's water out and that's clogged. That way it allowed the water to collect around the fresh air inlet and with the fresh air deal open on the heater, let the water in. that's my guess anyway. I drove in rain before and no problem. I was hoping that someone might know where that drain hole is so I can see about cleaning it out. Thanks for the replies. I'll keep looking. One day it will just glare at me.

Martin

Is it air conditioned? If so there is a drain tube in the box by the passengers feet a rubber tube about 1/2" a round, still rain water should not get in there. If you were using the a/c to clear the windshield it may have been condensate dripping out from a plugged drain hose. The fresh air box would have to be pretty full of water to get inside.

Remove the wiper arms, remove the air inlet grill. clean out the junk in the air box. There should be a small drain hole at the corners. Run a wire down the drain holes to make sure they are clear.

If there is any rust use Rustoleum paint to stop it.

Thanks, yes it's air conditioned but no compressor, etc. I was thinking eventually I'd have to get into that area under the wipers. I just wanted a little confidence before tackling it. Thanks again. we love our little toy dolphin.