coach battery??

desertrat

I'm sure there have been past posts on what battery or batteries people liked to use as house battery. I'm now looking to replace the battery in my coach 1988 Horizon. Just wondering what people prefer. Wet cell for cost advantage, AGM? I'm probably looking at a group 27. I'll only have a few fluorescent bulbs going, occasionally the heater when it's cold, and some charging of the Apple laptop, the ipod, my daughters portable dvd player and the occasional water pump use.

I've checked winchester auto, sears, west marine, interstate. I'm just fishing for battery brands people like

Thanks in advance

Edited by desertrat

I'm sure there have been past posts on what battery or batteries people liked to use as house battery. I'm now looking to replace the battery in my coach 1988 Horizon. Just wondering what people prefer. Wet cell for cost advantage, AGM? I'm probably looking at a group 27. I'll only have a few fluorescent bulbs going, occasionally the heater when it's cold, and some charging of the Apple laptop, the ipod, my daughters portable dvd player and the occasional water pump use.

I've checked winchester auto, sears, west marine, interstate. I'm just fishing for battery brands people like

Thanks in advance

I would have to say the Trojan batteries are probably the best, AMG's are nice but very pricey. Trojan batteries are what you usually find in golf carts. They will with stand lots and lots of discharge cycles. I have a 120AH 12 volt one that is now 6 years old that has been run dry twice (got rid of that charger)and it's still going strong. When I go up to Canada I run all my stuff for a full week (little or no heater useage) with out a recharge.

Thanks in advance

I hope this helps. Consumer Reports magazine rated auto batteries in the April 2009 issue (page 20) and the Everstart Maxx rated at or near the top of most of the group sizes they rated. They didn't test group 27 but I have two in my fishing boat and one in my toyhome and I have been happy so far. Available at Walmart. About $75. If you have a problem there is usually a Walmart within a reasonable drive.

Dave

Chelan, WA

Three manufacturers make all the brands. http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?contentid=4023696

All three make them for Walmart. Walmart has the best price and guarantee on deep cycle batteries. That Walmart battery will be twice the price with a Diehard label.

By the way a size 29 is only 1/4 inch longer than the 27 and has a lot more capacity. The price difference is minimal.

It is true that there are only a few manufactures of starting batteries the reason I like the

Trojan batteries is because they only make deep cycle batteries they do not make starting batteries to sell under some one elses name. It is a very old American company (85 years) and I have had excellent service from Trojan batteries in many industrial applications pallet jacks etc. They are not for every one they are not cheap. You are right about a 27 verses a 29 (I think the new number is 30h) I think the biggest 27 is about 90 AH and the 29 120 Ah my suggestion is to pick them up a deep cycle 30h should weigh close to 70# and a 27 around 60#. Most of the stuff I have seen listed as deep cycle tend to use fuzzy math so if you find a deep cycle and its only 45# some thing is wrong with the equation pick them up and buy the heaviest one no matter where you buy it.

I camp in the winter. I use a 31 Trojan AGM battery. Its mounted inside and not vented (no longer recomended, but its been fine for 4 years) Cold weather greatly reduces a batteries output.