78 Dolphin 16'

birdybird

Hi all-

I posted a couple days ago about a 78 dolphin 16'. . . wondering on price range/ worth of 78 like this. ASking price is 2800.

I got a firsthand look at her today.

Seems okay for the most part- 132k mi, 4 spd manual, manual steering, oven and stovetop, sink, fridge, toilet (think i would rip it out and turn into storage), new 4ply tires on front, started right up-- some small backfiring put puts in the first few minutes of driving, wasn't warmed up and has been sittong for a month or so- periodically started and run, but not much driving. was fine after few minutes into test drive. Interior was clean and dry except for a small bit above the cab,near the window- cut out and ready to be patched. no Battery for coach, so i couldn't test lights/ fridge. Rear axle is five lug, dual wheels. Didn't see any obvious leaks under hood. Needs a new emergency brake cable. Very little rust.

Checking up on a few more things tomorrow (no tags for new mexico), but leaning towards getting her....being trepidatious as is my first step into motorhome world.

Would be driving dolphin from new mexico to bay area california.

read another post of recommended pre-cross state-journeying: belts/ hoses/ check gauges/ lug nuts- retorque/ fluid levels/ get windshield wipers/ jumper cables/ new tires if possible. . .

Any more wisdom out there?

thanks for all the info here!

birdy

Any more wisdom out there?

Don't do it!

Turn around and walk away. Do not look back.

100+k miles on a 5 lug critically overloaded axle... it's a MIRACLE the wheels haven't ALREADY broken off. It could have new everythings all around and none of that will matter when you roll over when the wheels break off.

5 lug is a deal breaker. It's like a flood history in the eyes of a car buyer. Or toxic waste site in the eyes of a realtor. Or a sex-offense conviction in the eyes of a daycare about to hire someone.

Some bad things are so bad that they trump all the good things. Walk away.

She said it was only 16'. I call B.S. on the 5-lug hysteria for this size rig.

It seems a bit pricey for 1978 vehicle, but most campers/motorhomes are grossly overpriced IMO.

Yeah- not sure how to respond to the rear axle issue. . . point taken for sure, who doesn't like safety when it comes to driving on the highway?

on the other hand the seller is incredibly stubborn in her unwillingness to let me take the dolphin to a mechanic to get a prepurchase once over- she does want 2800 bucks and if i bought it i would be driving a thousand miles. . .

we shall see.

thanks for the input anyway, all.

birdy

the seller is incredibly stubborn in her unwillingness to let me take the dolphin to a mechanic to get a prepurchase once over

Something's fishy.

Sounds like a real pig-in-a-poke. Maybe she knows something about it that she doesn't want you to find out. Or maybe she just doesn't trust you and thinks you are going to have your mechanic "induce" a problem to knock the price down. That's not unheard of, but there is a definite lack of transparency and trust here.

Tell her that since she won't let a mechanic evaluate the condition of the vehicle, that she must warrant the vehicle to be roadworthy and free from undisclosed defects. Sign a contract that says payment will be with a check with a hold payment order and funds will be released when the vehicle makes it to its destination free from defects, and that if the vehicle does not make it, the price of tow and repair will be deducted from the sale price and a new check issued.

Will she agree to that? No. She knows a sucker is born every day and she only needs 1. Luckily, you stumbled onto this forum and you have us to reassure you that these things turn up for sale all the time - under much better terms than that. Don't jump at the first one you see, especially under these VERY unfavorable terms (missing equipment, wrong axle, no inspection allowed). If you think 2800 is the right price, add axle replacement and a 700 mile tow on a rollback and see what that bumps the price up to. Not such a good deal anymore.

I can't guarantee that such an event WILL happen, but I bet you can't find one person to put it in writing that such an event WON'T occur. Not even the seller. Every vehicle purchase is a little bit of a gamble. But this sounds like a big one with the deck stacked against you. If you want to gamble big, go to Vegas. At least there, you know the odds.

Hi Birdy,

We all must have a little of the "gambler" in us to invest in these little toys.

I think it's interesting that she won't let you run it buy a mechanic's inspection, and $2800 does seem steep for an "as is" purchase, but I'm in Oklahoma. However, you could call it "a road trip", take a buddy with you with some "know-how" and a set of tools, a couple gallons of water/coolant, plenty of snacks, and plan on taking your time.

I bought my 18 ft Sunrader, for $1200 a year ago. Had no clue what I was doing. No mechanic's inspection. Ended up needing a fuel system overhall..$200 or so. I have since invested $1800 in a new rearend, and another $1000+ in fabric, carpet, paint, odds and ends, and more things to fix.

I would do it again in a heartbeat!

If you do make "the leap", then we're here to support you as best as we can. The mechanical toy gurus on this forum can answer all your mechanically technical questions. The rest of us will attempt to support you in a brother/sister eccentric family sort of way.

Go with your gut. If that gnawing hunger, total consuming, "I gotta have it!" feeling is not there....just walk away....simple as that.

wishing you the best.

shanda

If its a 16" then you can go to single rear wheels, but that going to be $$500-600$$. Rims, tires, and with a 100k on the axles you should get new axles too.

IMHO cool your jets and keep looking for a newer one with the right axle

Hi Birdy,

We all must have a little of the "gambler" in us to invest in these little toys.

I think it's interesting that she won't let you run it buy a mechanic's inspection, and $2800 does seem steep for an "as is" purchase, but I'm in Oklahoma. However, you could call it "a road trip", take a buddy with you with some "know-how" and a set of tools, a couple gallons of water/coolant, plenty of snacks, and plan on taking your time.

I bought my 18 ft Sunrader, for $1200 a year ago. Had no clue what I was doing. No mechanic's inspection. Ended up needing a fuel system overhall..$200 or so. I have since invested $1800 in a new rearend, and another $1000+ in fabric, carpet, paint, odds and ends, and more things to fix.

I would do it again in a heartbeat!

If you do make "the leap", then we're here to support you as best as we can. The mechanical toy gurus on this forum can answer all your mechanically technical questions. The rest of us will attempt to support you in a brother/sister eccentric family sort of way.

Go with your gut. If that gnawing hunger, total consuming, "I gotta have it!" feeling is not there....just walk away....simple as that.

wishing you the best.

shanda

ah. . .thanks sisters and brothers. . .nice to know you are out there.

usually quite the gambling bird, but prudence is holding out for a 2nd opinion.

usually ok at casing other folks as dishonest or not, but this one is a hard read indeed!

thanks again and will let y'all know how it turns out. fingers crossed, in a good way :)

gratitude

ah. . .thanks sisters and brothers. . .nice to know you are out there.

usually quite the gambling bird, but prudence is holding out for a 2nd opinion.

usually ok at casing other folks as dishonest or not, but this one is a hard read indeed!

thanks again and will let y'all know how it turns out. fingers crossed, in a good way :)

gratitude

Well-

It did not work out.

The vehicle made it to a mechanic and was in pretty good condition, but when it came to it- I discovered the title was not in her name and she refused to sign a bill of sale. So I walked away. . .

you win some you lose some. . .

Thanks for all the input.

There are other fish in the sea so to speak.

birdy :rolleyes:

Well-

It did not work out.

There are other fish in the sea so to speak.

birdy :rolleyes:

Rember that you want a Toy MH, you dont need one. Wait for the right one.