Refrigerator cooling problem

Get one of the little fans that go inside the refer part. They will blow air across the freezer bottom and help cool things a bunch. Also a loaded refer cools better than an empty one. So for testing get as many 1/2 milk jugs full of water as you can fit inside. Then see what happens.

Your leveling the RV according to the freezer tray? There are a couple of different remote temperature monitors on the market which are handy to actually see what the temp is with out opening the door. I recently bought a new one that has the sensor in a box and better represents the temperature of the items inside and not the air temp. Also these refers don't cool down really fast. It can take several hours to get the interior down to temp and if you have nothing inside like WME says (thermal mass) when you open the door all the cold air drops out the bottom and warm air rushes in. So keeping some stuff like a bunch of soft drinks or bottles of water really help. I put Ice cubes or frozen bottles of water in the freezer also. You can also put a small exhaust fan in the outside vent to help move that hot air out from around the coils. There is a small solar one on the market.

Back in the old days, that was a sign that some of the chemical condensed as a solid in the coils due to improper leveling. Once formed, they never go back to gas or liquid. What was done was to drill holes in the bottom of the freezer to let cool air in to the firdge area. Do the coils in the upper back of the bottom fridge get cold? They should have ice form on them.

Back in the old days, that was a sign that some of the chemical condensed as a solid in the coils due to improper leveling. Once formed, they never go back to gas or liquid. What was done was to drill holes in the bottom of the freezer to let cool air in to the firdge area. Do the coils in the upper back of the bottom fridge get cold? They should have ice form on them.

Thanks!

No the square coil thing in the back top of the frig doesn't get cold.

The cooling element on the back gets hot which is is suposed to do, and the freezer gets cold.

Yes, it will freeze.

Alright, like WME suggested put some water jugs inside and a jug of water in the freezer. If you can find one of those inside battery operated refer circulation fans that really helps. Make sure your refer is level, front to back is more critical than side to side but get both as close as possible. Turn the thermostat all the way to the coldest and a thermometer inside and let'er rip for 24 hours. Don't keep opening the door every half hour just to see the temp. Check the temp first and see what it is and then check and see if the water bottle in the freezer is frozen. Outside temp will have a huge effect on these small refers. If its 100 degrees outside it gets harder to pull the heat out of the interior of the refer because it can not be deposited into the outside air. That heat has to be taken out of the system by the outside air, the cooler it is outside the better the refer will work. A circulation fan on the outside pushing or pulling air up and out will help cool off those coils making the refer more efficient. Anyhow it sounds like its working at least if it will freeze water on the tray. As for leveling get it level with the freezer tray then fine a spot inside the coach that matches so you don't have to open the door to level it. And like suggested get a thermometer that can be read from the outside. It can take 24 hours to cool down depending on outside temp, humidity and the condition of the refer. Another thing to check is the height of the pilot flame. I think in the gallery section here there is a dometic manual for the 2400 which will help determine if the pilot is correct.

I had the same exact problem last year with my frig, I could freeze water in the freezer part,

but the refrig part was also room temperature, even over night with a few gallon water jugs in it.

I have not tried it this year yet.

Dennis...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Along the same topic, does anyone know if it is a good idea to keep the refrigerator running while in storage, or shoud it be shut off? Will it last longer if kept on?

Bob in Texas (new member)

It would be better to keep it shut off.