Fuel level sending unit

Geoteach

1986 Coachmen I'm sure it has the 18 gal tank, no matter, the fuel level does not work. I'm always stressing about how much fuel is in my tank until the Low Fuel light comes on. Does anyone know if the tank was supplied by Toyota or was added by Coachmen. Also, where can I find a new sending unit? I've got a large trip coming up at the end of June and would like to get it repaired before then.

Thanks

The motorhome manufacturers mostly used the stock Toyota fuel tanks. I have a Sunrader supplied 26 gallon optional tank but it uses the stock Toyota gaskets, sending unit, etc. I checked Toyota for a new sending unit for my 83 model 22R engine and they no longer supply the sending unit for the carb models, however they do if you have fuel injection.

Allen

1986 Coachmen I'm sure it has the 18 gal tank, no matter, the fuel level does not work. I'm always stressing about how much fuel is in my tank until the Low Fuel light comes on. Does anyone know if the tank was supplied by Toyota or was added by Coachmen. Also, where can I find a new sending unit? I've got a large trip coming up at the end of June and would like to get it repaired before then.

Thanks

If your low fuel light comes on it sounds like the sending unit is working but the gauge on the dash is not. I think there is a fuse for that gauge but maybe not.

Hmmm, that makes sense. The gauge would work somtimes and not others. If there is a fuse for it, I can't seem to find it. I have the Haynes book for it but the wiring diagram doesn't always show every fuse. I was thinking about dropping the tank and checking the sending unit out since my filler hose needs replacing.

I had priced out the sending unit, and I think it was around $100 + -. If you go that far, replacing the fuel pump might be a good idea also. If you can get to the back of the dash and plugs try removing them and putting back on. Could just be a loose connection!

• 3 months later...

Thanks

another option is to log your furl purchases - then compute your mileage and plan your stops accordingly. I have a car with a bad gauge - we get gas at no more then 350 miles (about 9 gallons in a honda).

My 92 itasca spirit has a 17.2 gallon tank (if I remember right) and gets between 12-18 depending on where we are operating (mountain gravel forest service or level highway at 55mph). Anyway we have a working gauge and we stop a lot for fuel. Usually about every 150 miles. You could stop every 100-150 and note how much you get - eventually you will not worry at all as you will have a very good idea as to where you stand.

• 2 months later...

I recently purchased a aftermarket 17 gallon tank for my 1 ton Dually flatbed, I priced out a sending unit and fuel pump bracket assy from these guys http://www.1sttoyotaparts.com

the sending unit is P/N 8332039446 and is $71.26

the pump bracket that holds the pump and screws down to the tank is P/N 23206-35050 and is $167

I have searched high and low for these aftermarket and have had no luck, The above mentioned place is a local Toyota dealer here in Wa that sells parts online and is always lower in price than other Toyota dealers in my area

• 8 months later...
Guest toydolphin

Thanks

Hi Lance,

Just sent you a request for email reply but then saw this and how strange that my gas guage is not working also. Ever get yours fixed?

Thanks,

Phil