1987 Toyota Pickup Dome Light

BunnyJ

The dome light in my cab doesn't work.  I have tried multiple bulbs.  I have not yet put a meter on the fixture to check for electricity (because I don't own a meter), nor have I checked/replaced the relevant fuse.  But I have done some reading and have learned that the 'key in ignition' warning noise (and possible also a seatbelt reminder) are tied to the dome light, and I don't have these other noises/warnings so I am fairly certain a prior owner's modification is my issue (rather than no power at the fixture).  There is a wire behind the driver's side kick panel that has been cut.  (see attached pics)  This wire is actually two separate wires - one has an all black sheath and the other has a black sheath with a white stripe - that run parallel to one another and whose sheaths are connected (see pic).  (FWIW, all of the wiring behind the kick panel appears to be original, except for the large black thing at the bottom of the first pic - which is related to a backup camera connected to the radio head unit.  The cut wire can be seen in the first pic lying between the beige and yellow connectors.  The second pic is a close-up of the cut wire(s)). Any ideas what these cut wires are?  Or what they used to be connected to?  Or what I can do to put humpty dumpty back together so that it (hopefully) gives me back my dome light?  Thanks in advance! 

IMG_8201.jpg

IMG_8202.jpg

I’m not familiar with your particular model year truck.

Does your dome light have a sliding tab to turn it on ? If yes, they usually have a total of three possible settings. Left activates with door open, center is off, far right is to turn on independent of the door. Make sure your not on the center setting.

Many late model trucks the dome light is activated by the door being open or turning the (rheostat) knob on the headlight switch fully counterclockwise .

You will need a simple test lamp or inexpensive voltmeter to do any troubleshooting.

Edited by fred heath

Thank you for this info.  My dome light has a three position switch, and I am familiar with how they work.  I have tested the light in all three positions, and I also tested it by opening and closing the driver's door.  The driver's door switch appears to be wired.  I will have to get a voltmeter and start troubleshooting logically, but I have a hunch that it is going to come down to that cut wire.  Thx!