Having trouble finding out where the black wire to the actual sensor gauge is attached to the motor somewhere also when I turn the gauge dimmer switch knob down the light on the transmission temperature gauge gets  brighter as the rest of the gauges go dim86 Seabreeze 

Sounds like a ground issue.

Broken or bad grounds can cause some funky things to happen.

Might not solve your problem but checking all the grounds on a regular basis. Both ac and dc can prevent a bunch of problems

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2023 at 4:25 PM, REALLYRURAL said:

Might not solve your problem but checking all the grounds on a regular basis. Both ac and dc can prevent a bunch of problems

Where are all the grounds located if I found them all

On 6/11/2023 at 4:25 PM, REALLYRURAL said:

The gauge has four threaded red rods coming out the back one has an S i think i can make out GRND on an other Some hieroglyphic symbol and then no symbol on the last one.

3 minutes ago, masinoshane said:

The gauge has four threaded red rods coming out the back one has an S i think i can make out GRND on an other Some hieroglyphic symbol and then no symbol on the last one.

Also would the sensor be located on the side of the transmission oil Pan?

27 minutes ago, extech said:

do you need help with picture uploading?

My phone froze I'll send some pics 

6 minutes ago, masinoshane said:

My phone froze I'll send some pics 

16874586415596962338981519595122.jpg.a4ad167fdaf317843c14098ea65e08d8.jpg16874585413551700197143567081810.jpg.051b35ccf6246ef5243dd4afd66328da.jpg

i don't see the symbol referred to.  i would think g is ground, s is sender, and the other ignition.

Just now, extech said:

do you have a test light or multimeter

Yea I've traced the wires down. He's got the light tied into the dimmer knob. But it works in reverse when you turn the dimmer down. The oil gauge gets brighter when the rest of the - lights get dim and then hes got another wire to a ground screw behind the dash  Another wire hes pulling from a bundle Where the fuse for the radio comes out of. And severed wire coming from. I think the oil Pan sensor. It makes sense that they were connected together at 1 time

are you more concerned with the gauge or the light

looks like factory dimmer is on the ground side. turning the dimmer knob increases the resistance to ground- dimmer lights.

1 hour ago, extech said:

are you more concerned with the gauge or the light

The gauge 

47 minutes ago, extech said:

looks like factory dimmer is on the ground side. turning the dimmer knob increases the resistance to ground- dimmer lights.

?

ok. the gauge has 3 wires. one is power. check each wire with key on. one will show 0 one should be battery v, the other may be less.  disconnect either of the last 2. one of them will be battery v.  reconnect and connect the other wire to ground. the gauge should go to it's upper limit. thats the wire going to the sender on the transmission 

if you connect your test light clamp lead to battery v  when you probe the ground connection it will light if the wire is actually grounded.    

i know    clear as mud

the gauge installer connected the light incorrectly. doesn't affect gauge operation

4 hours ago, extech said:

the gauge installer connected the light incorrectly. doesn't affect gauge operation

If I just reversed the 2 light wires will that correct the dimmer function

are there 2 wires for the light? i thought only one. if so that wire should go to any light power and not try to have a dimmer on it

6 hours ago, extech said:

ok. the gauge has 3 wires. one is power. check each wire with key on. one will show 0 one should be battery v, the other may be less.  disconnect either of the last 2. one of them will be battery v.  reconnect and connect the other wire to ground. the gauge should go to it's upper limit. thats the wire going to the sender on the transmission 

if you connect your test light clamp lead to battery v  when you probe the ground connection it will light if the wire is actually grounded.    

i know    clear as mud

Yeah crystal clear as Mudd I read it five times and can't figure out what exactly you are explaining 

yea i get it.  put tape on each wire. label them. disconnect them. find the one that has power with key on. if using a test light connect the clamp to battery power and the probe to the other wires.  one will light brightly. it goes to ground connection. the other wire goes to the sender connection. 

with power on, touching the sender connection with the test light (clamp grounded) the gauge will go to full hot. 

this tests the gauges ability to work. 

the sender (if working) will make the gauge move based on it's resistance to ground