OK, motor heads here's the question....My 22re engine starts fine and idles silently...for a while. When I step on the gas it starts to rattle and cackle until it warms up (about eight blocks)...then is well behaved and silent. At first I thought it was a rod until I listened more closely.I never heard a carburated engine carry on so and this is my first fuel injected...Any ideas? I don't want to hurt her.

I am guessing but I know some of these have a flap in the airbox that closes down like a choke and restricts air flow. Mine will stumble a bit sometimes when first started or restarted after only running a short time, kind of shakes a little or chugs. I am think that flap is closing too much and it is choking it out a little, it goes away quickly and then runs fine.

Plugged fuel filter could also cause running conditions. Again these are guesses at this point.

Have you listened to the valve assembly? 22R's are mechanical valve adjustment and tend to rattle until the valves and rockers heat up and expand closing the gap between the rockers and valves. You could have one out of adjustment also. Just a thought.

If the front seal has ever been replaced check the pully and make sure its itght.